Chuck E. Cheese's

www.chuckecheese.com

I had a great experience working at this establishment.

Former Employee - Showroom and Cashier (At Different Points In My Employment)  in  Appleton, WI
Former Employee - Showroom and Cashier (At Different Points In My Employment) in Appleton, WI

Pros

Great co-workers, fun environment, menu variety, constantly changing.

Cons

Pay, during busy times we could have used more workers.

Make sure that management has actual managing skills. One of my managers would constantly be messing around and pulling "pranks" on the employees such as putting different things in drinks. They would also have favorites that they would not make do anything but sit in the office and talk and goof around while other people were expected to do that persons job as well as their own. I think that was my biggest problem with the place I worked, but I also had some great managers that did an awesome job.

Other reviews for Chuck E. Cheese's

A mixed bag, depends on your management but overall poor

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rochester Hills, MI

Pros

Fairly easy to get in. My general manager commented that "most people didn't even fill out their resumes", which I found a bit amusing to say the least.

Kids are amusing to talk to, but not when it's incredibly overwhelming like on weekends.

Free drinks is always a plus. The overpriced food at half off was actually not too bad either, and we were allowed to have food that got a bit messed up in the ovens so that was essentially free lunch/dinner right there.

Cons

The biggest problem is perhaps the inconsistency in quality of general managers.

When I started in August 2011, my general manager was AMAZING. He never screwed up the schedule, things moved incredibly smoothly, he was there to help you out, and he really rewarded hard work. I was even promised to start being trained for a promotion in January, but unfortunately he was transferred to another location. The new guy comes in and I'm a bit careful - he's the kind of guy that tries to make people "feel comfortable" I guess but he ended up absolutely slashing our hours, and since I prefer attention to detail as opposed to rushing I took a major hit. He also talked to me on the side several times, while he raised a minor mental handicap that I have (which did not really handicap me at all at the workplace) and on several occasions made me feel uncomfortable by talking down to me and comparing me to people with down's syndrome, which I found incredibly offensive. I can't believe this guy actually still works there as a GM. I supposed I could have contacted corporate but I doubt anything would be done.

As would come with this sort of attitude, favouritism is rampant. I knew one guy who worked there for NINE years and he was nigh impeccable, but this new GM hired this guy he knew in high school with a higher wage than most of the staff and gave him 6 DAYS for his first week scheduled. The other guy had to actually quit because the massive drop in his hours forced him to seek alternative employment.

Hours are incredibly unpredictable. If you're scheduled for a close, don't expect to get out at close, don't expect to get out at any time you can think of; I've gotten home as late as 2:30-3:00 in the MORNING so it is very difficult. A major problem with this is that often underage kids who are entitled to breaks and forced to go home at a certain time are crowed often on the worst nights, with usually me and the manager closing the ENTIRE store. Another problem with underage kids is that they are entitled to breaks, while I was lucky to even get to sit down for 5 seconds. Seriously, I busted my butt there and they only offered me a break if they wanted to cut back on labour.

The company is all about cutting corners. I've seen managers bypass health safety to close faster. As a stickler for detail and making sure the actual area was clean, I was punished with a lack of hours. This is unacceptable, especially in a food establishment. I would NEVER take my children to a CEC location in the future knowing how they handle food here.

Our location was incredibly understaffed. Usually one person would be on a position at a time, bar the birthday people. Imagine, one cashier dealing with a non-diminishing line of customers, while juggling the merchandise counter with 5 kids and trying to fill the salad bar at the same time. And then someone would complain about the ice being empty because some person was too lazy to check it before their shift ended...

I know a lot of people liked the coworkers, but I generally didn't get along with most people except for the older kitchen staff and some of the other managers. Most of the coworkers, especially those under 18, were often entitled brats who would taunt me while they clocked out while I had to deal with things that they were supposed to do but couldn't because the time ran out.

Again, most of these problems were nonexistent with my first GM. It does play a major role.

Also, I don't get where some people are saying "it's really easy to get fired", because there was one underage kid that did a terrible job every night, not even cleaning tables and having me cover for his incompetence, and yet he wasn't fired, he actually "worked" there for about 7 months.

Please review your general managers before passing them through! Also, it'd help if you actually enforced your labour policies.

If you're a people pleaser, its for you!

Former Employee - Games Attendant  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Games Attendant in Troy, MI

Pros

Free food.. great hours for teens who go to school and for people with heavy social lives. Singing and dancing is fun. Getting to be chuck E. is fun also.

Cons

At this specific location:
    Managers only care about themselves and talk down to their employees.
    Managers watch Employees get slammed out on the floor and offer no help.
    Getting hours is based on favoritism, most employees work two days a week at four hours each, while favorites get regular shifts.
    Minimum wage, with no opporunity for a raise.
    A faceless, namelss organization, full of upper management, none of which you will ever meey. So there is no hope for problem resolution.

Make yourself more available to your employees and work better to problem solve.
    Behave more like a management team, than a daunting dictatorship

There are newer employer reviews for Chuck E. Cheese's.

Worked for Chuck E. Cheese's? Contribute to the Community!