There are newer employer reviews for Chugach Alaska

Government contractor working at an Army base

Former Employee - Administrative
Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

working on a military base

Cons

vacation time wasn't that great, parking wasn't great

18 Other Employee Reviews for Chugach Alaska (View Most Recent)

Chugach, Wake Atoll

Former Employee - Cannon Fodder  in  Wake Island, HI
    Former Employee - Cannon Fodder in Wake Island, HI

I worked at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good money if you can keep you sanity on a remote island. Lets put it this way some people just crack up. Saw a lot of that. Lots of improvements ( no bugs in food any more, I hope, lol ) because others before the hurricane Ioke had blazed the way at great sacrifice. Great diving if you know what your doing. Awesome 5000 ft ledge 70' deep about 300 yds off area 1100, but can be dangerous if your head isnt on right. ( no chamber for 24 hours, as thats about how long it will take to get you one ). Giant Napoleon Wrasse bigger than a volkswagon in cave. (Nice!) Saw at least 1 sea monster sized moray eel 18" in dia and 20 ft long at least. So the diving is really good. Pay is ok and greatly improved from the old days, but well deserved.

Cons

Some people are not mentally prepared for long duration remote hazard stations so turn over is plentiful. Lots of interesting unexploded ordnance around so watch what your picking up or kicking while walking along the beach. EOD was usually out there every month when I was there (3yrs). Experienced a ww2 anti-ship mine pop up after I was throwing coral at something in the water. Lots of unexploded ww2 grenades and mortar shells around. 50cal shells theres a inert 2000lb battleship shell at one of the beach houses ( 4 Palms) on Peale.
     Medical services were VERY lacking and change frequently due to high doc turnover. You have to have your ------ rapped tight there. The job is always is a constant state of chaos and flux due to turn over and management shenanigans. Its like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get. Just hope you arent there when the 20k gal of jet fuel under the old fire dept doesnt decide to ignite, otherwise your ok.

I guess the best advice is what one of the upper management said to workers while we were suppose to improve security at the airport per AF orders. "We don't really have to do it ,we just have to look like we are doing it" - lol kind of says it all.

These people are so cheap

Current Employee - Not Saying  in  Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Not Saying in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Chugach Alaska full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

They are cheaper than cheap, and they are government rip-off artists. I have been here since before they took over the contract at Tinker AFB. They do as little as possible to get by. They are screwing the government and the tax payers out of tens of thousands of dollars. They are very adept at hiding the truth and the facts from the government. They are pretending to do work they don't actually do. They write "completed" on their work forms, and never do anything. Unfortunately, no one is looking over their shoulder, so they get away with it.

You better straighten your act up before the government catches up with you. If not, by the time it's all said and done many of you will be in jail and the government will own your company.

There are newer employer reviews for Chugach Alaska

Worked for Chugach Alaska? Contribute to the Community!