Ciena
www.ciena.com Hanover, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sub-par Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Linthicum, MD

I worked at Ciena

Pros- Good salary and benefits
- Good opportunites
- Decent time off policies
- Decent working environment
- Some opportunities for growth (if the company grew)

Cons- Terrible top management. Same senior management and Board of Directors for at least 10 years. Golden parachutes (for what?) are abundant. That is the main reason for all the "one-time charges".
- Layoffs, acquisition, layoffs, acquisition, layoffs, acquisition
- Titles are out of whack. Directors, Senior Directors, VP are flying around everywhere. Who actually works there?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some folks (and not the cronies that started with the original Ciena organization) in there and run it as "real company". CEO Gary Smith's previous job was as Vice President of Sales at the semi-public entity Intelsat. Time to change (even if it will cost the CEO's 3 million dollar exit agreement).

Interesting

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
City of Spokane Valley, WA

I have been working at Ciena

Pros: Ciena pays among the leaders. Cons: Work/life balance could use improvement. Advice to Senior Management: Listen to employee, ask for feedback. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Flexible, fulfilling, but still acts like a start-up which is sometimes not a good thing.

Director (Current Employee)
Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Ciena

Pros: Flexible, good salary, ok benefits, nice offices in Linthicum MD, Cons: Lack of processes/systems cause many manual and therefore time-consuming, error-prone activities. Lots of non-value add work due to… Advice to Senior Management: Invest in IT/infrastructure and FP&A. Mandate policies. Man-up. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Ciena.

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ciena reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ciena CEO Gary B. Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Ciena employees.