Ciena
www.ciena.com Hanover, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

It is full of ups and down

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 5 years

Prosfacilities - A very good office, though as number of employee are growing avg space of an employee is reducing. But I will rate is very high, given the fact that I have worked in 4 more companies.
Lunch at office - It is one of the hidden reasons why people are not leaving the company :)
Salary - Best at least among the peers in NCR
Work - Work is average. Although on cutting edge technology but low in value chain.

Consfirst line managers, communication with employees. Too many senior people and no relevant work for them. This has created huge problem in organizational growth. Even for junior engineers growth has stopped. A great rift between managers and engineer. A technology company should respect its engineer more than its manager but in Ciena it is just opposite more like a manufacturing company.
Promotions here are less celebrated because there are more controversy than general acceptance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake people in confidence. Explain to them current scenario rather than giving unreasonable excuses. Be transparent in your decision. Make an environment where we feel proud to work in.

Great Place to work 2012 for "Seniors"

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: 1. Casual Work Environment 2. No need to inform your supervisor for Leaves, just take and then say "unplanned leave" 3. Full of extra curricular activities, nothing… Cons: 1. No career growth 2. Either No or very high work pressure 3. Every hour verbal reporting, email reporting is additional 4. Management hardly knows people managment, just… Advice to Senior Management: Do some full time management course No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The Optical / OTN Leader

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ciena full-time for less than a year

Pros: It's good to work with good equipments, good hardware and software. The company is… Cons: As a small company, HR is not very good, specially if you are not an employee from the headquarters. Also the… Advice to Senior Management: Invest in people and cut some of the bureaucracy so… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Ciena.

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ciena reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ciena CEO Gary B. Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Ciena employees.