Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Ciena (then Wavesmith) had some interesting projects going on. Overall I was very impressed with the quality of my team members.

Cons

I have to say there weren't too many downsides. Management had their act together, and I had a great boss. I was pushed when deadlines approached, but otherwise was left to my own devices.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of any advice I would give anyone at Ciene. They are a world class organization and I was happy to be an employee there.

reviews filtered by

Very Vertical, Poor Communication

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Some of the technology is complex and interesting, there is a strong pool of talent in coworkers, and select team managers do an excellent job with their team members.

Cons

Management style is very vertical and often micromangement, Compensation changes and promotions seem to be about playing favorites rather than work ethic or performance, HUGE communication issues between departments and teams, some employees who have been there for a very long time have not learned new technology and are very resistant to change.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if senior management looked more into the actual workings of the company on a day to day basis. Because of how vertical the company is there's a thick layer of middle management that basically spend their time competing, playing politics, and masking what really goes on from senior level management.

2. Was a great place to work, but now questionnable due to Nortel acquisition

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Linthicum Heights, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Linthicum Heights, MD

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Ciena had a great work/life balance with perks such as telecommuting plans, flexible work hours, health club reimbursements, and company wellness plans. The benefits package was quite lucrative, and the salaries were on par with other companies in the telecommunications industry. Management had an open door policy, and employees were empowered to work autonomously to achieve their assignments. The people are great to work with and sincerely want to help you when you ask - there truly is a sense of being a huge family.

Cons

Ciena is still an organization where it is important as to who you know rather than what you know in order to advance. The internal systems are very archaic and disjoined, and a silo mentality exists within certain groups. Gary Smith and upper management really sold out Ciena during the Nortel acquisition - who purchased who? Most Nortel management remained while Ciena management will most likely soon be shown the door. Many employees were very loyal to Ciena, and put forth a tremendous amount of effort to build the organization over the years. However, now they anxiously wait for severance packages.

Advice to Management

You had a very strong team who sacrificed to make Ciena the successful telco it is today; however, you have just lost the most important resource to any organization since the trust factor has now disintegrated. Even though the Nortel acquisition supposedly launched Ciena 2-3 years into the future, what indirect price is Ciena going to pay? Gary used to stand up to Wall Street and not worry about what was thought or said about Ciena with respect to shorter term performace. Why did he not do it this time? Slower with much planning and thought is what drove Ciena to what is is today, but the Nortel deal was rapid and hasty.