There are newer employer reviews for Ciena

Quality People

Current Employee - Sales in Linthicum, MD
Current Employee - Sales in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Ciena

Pros

Ciena has quality people who care about their company and their jobs. They have flexible work arrangements and compensation is fair.

Cons

As compared to other companies I have worked in Ciena has few "con's". As I have to say something I would say those typical of a technical company.

Advice to Management

I choose not to answer this question as I can't presume to know the best way to run a company.

reviews filtered by
  1. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Ciena (then Wavesmith) had some interesting projects going on. Overall I was very impressed with the quality of my team members.

Cons

I have to say there weren't too many downsides. Management had their act together, and I had a great boss. I was pushed when deadlines approached, but otherwise was left to my own devices.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of any advice I would give anyone at Ciene. They are a world class organization and I was happy to be an employee there.

Very Vertical, Poor Communication

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Some of the technology is complex and interesting, there is a strong pool of talent in coworkers, and select team managers do an excellent job with their team members.

Cons

Management style is very vertical and often micromangement, Compensation changes and promotions seem to be about playing favorites rather than work ethic or performance, HUGE communication issues between departments and teams, some employees who have been there for a very long time have not learned new technology and are very resistant to change.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if senior management looked more into the actual workings of the company on a day to day basis. Because of how vertical the company is there's a thick layer of middle management that basically spend their time competing, playing politics, and masking what really goes on from senior level management.

There are newer employer reviews for Ciena