There are newer employer reviews for Cigital

Less learning, less interesting, more pressure, more billability: overall a slide downhill in the past 2 years

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant  in  Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Cigital

Pros

Good exposure to other consultants learning appsec tricks of the trade. All in all has a decent reputation, looks good on a resume, and great exposure to some fine clients.

Cons

The staff has changed considerably in the past few years. The primary leaders in the consulting ranks have mostly left, leaving a staff of inexperienced people left. Very top heavy as a company, and too few actual technical people who know what they're doing. The company spends nothing on training its staff, or allowing them any time to attend conferences, external training. The mentoring program they have would be advantageous, however, they allow no time for actual meetings with one's mentor. The emphasis is all about billability. Taking time off is discouraged, and even rewarded through compensation. A sure sign the company is looking out for the almighty dollar instead of the well-being of it's employees. Which is a large reason any good people leave. Incoming hires are paid 20-60K more than existing employees which started as an Associate, then promoted to Consultant (and to IN SOME cases Sr. Consultant). The CEO comes in late, leaves early, and is more concerned about hiring 3 executives a month to help turn the company a month, instead of fixing the morale and the complete lack of training and appreciation of the people at client sites billing and making money for the company. Almost everyone here is looking for another job, and the sieve is letting out more than it's taking in.

Don't hire so many executives and senior managers. Why spend all that money? Save some for adequate bonuses!
For 6 years full bonuses have never been paid. Always less than half the expected percentage quoted in hiring. And again, this year end, we're told it'll be marginal at best. And we've all billed at an average of over 100% of target! Not a way to thank your staff.
If you want to be a staff augmentation firm, or a body-shop, don't sell the opportunity to new hires that the company is a great place to live and learn and be a thought leader! Because it's not.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Cigital (View Most Recent)

Below par account manager, who owns the project.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Cigital

Pros

The have a few good technical people (however, they are not in the leadership role, and don't have much of a say or just wont step up).

After you have exceeded some 4 yrs tenure, they don't micro manage as much.

Cons

The manager was totally spineless, he changed the agreed terms from when we began. This was after re-affirming the terms with him.

They win work based on the firms name and a couple of industry specific experiences, however, they are not experts in all things security. Regardless this is how they portray themselves and bid for work.

Sadly the government is easily fooled, with branding and numbers.

I felt like, the account manager in my case abused the role he played in the company. Sadly, none of the others were privy to the information and he controlled fairly well.

He played the role of gatekeeper for information.

Truly a poor experience for work.

People there tout, their practices, in reality its different story. I would recommend the CEO taking a closer look at the company account managers when he has a chance!

Great culture, great company

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cigital full-time

Pros

The volume of talent within Cigital is overwhelming, I'm incredibly proud to be working alongside my colleagues, I learn so much every day.

The support that's available to you as a consultant allows you to really give the clients the solution that's best suited for them.

The company actually cares about the greater good of the industry and building things correctly unlike other firm's who are too obsessed with breaking into things. Unlike others, Cigital not only breaks in but gives actionable, tailored guidance for every single issue found.

The compensation is reflective of that which is expected if you and the company really recognizes and rewards hard work and extra curricular efforts.

There are very clear and definitive career progression paths and the company supports you in many ways along your path. The mentors hip scheme is particularly beneficial for those knew to the industry.

Cons

The company does have a great catalogue of training material but some more hands on challenges would be great. That being said, since joining Cigital I've witnessed the addition of many such challenges.

Cigital Response

Jul 24, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks for the positive feedback, we do our best to ensure Cigital is a place where people can grow personally and professionally. Your suggestion about having more hands-on challenges is a great ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Cigital

Worked for Cigital? Contribute to the Community!