Cigna
www.cigna.com Bloomfield, CT 5000+ Employees

Good People, Horrible "raises"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

ProsI worked with many great people at Cigna. They were always willing to mentor and give advice, and help people advance. There were always open jobs all over the world, so there were opportunities to move, if desired or needed.

ConsAny pay increase that would be associated with advancement is "capped". Suppose you start as an entry-level person, finally get your degree, apply for and get a position a band level higher, and that position's market value is twice what you were making. You will not get paid that market value - they will increase your pay to 70% of the new jobs Market Value, and keep you there, even if you are a high performer. Additionally, there are restrictions on the number of band levels you can advance at one time. In the above scenario, suppose you got a degree, and with your demonstrated experience with Cigna, as well as past work experience, you are qualified for a band 3 position, but you are currently a band 1. Several managers and above would have to sign off on you advancing into that position; this is more work for the hiring manager, and kills the odds of advancing professionally and financially.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to re-evaluate the policies regarding advancement and compensation. To keep employees at a low market value percent range because the difference between the employees pay when they joined the organization, and the pay for the new job was too much makes employees who worked hard to advance feel used. When upper management says that "It happens to everyone here", and advises that the only way to get paid what I am worth would be to leave the company for 6 months, then come back ... that says a lot.

Good company; set for success

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great business model, unique solutions for employers, great people Cons: Satellite offices tend to be less up on company initiatives,… Advice to Senior Management: Stay attune to the advice of ALL of your sales reps and not just the ones who… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Weak company cultural from the inside out.. Inexperienced mid-level managers.. lots of corporate politics. 2.5 Stars

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pay rate is better here on the corporate side in comparison to mid-level agencies. The name "Cigna" on your resume is reputable and familiar. If… Cons: Lack of a dynamic, young professional workforce probably due to corporate politics and inexperienced mid-level managers. Lack of professional development for employees. From my… Advice to Senior Management: If Cigna's mantra is really GO YOU and something along the lines of "your people are your company's best asset", then mean it and be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cigna.

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cigna reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cigna CEO David Cordani. All reviews posted anonymously by Cigna employees.