There are newer employer reviews for Cigna

Good company to work for

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart colleagues, interesting projects, good advancement opportunities, good emphasis on work-life balance, opportunity to rotate through different business areas.

Cons

External training and development isn't particularly encouraged. There can be a lot of bureaucracy slowing down decision-making.

Cigna Response

Apr 7, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Lead

Thanks so much for providing this review! Cigna does offer a lot of opportunity for each employee to develop themselves in the manner that they see fit. We are constantly evaluating our training ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Cigna

1. Good place to work when at the corporate locations

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cigna offers a lot of opportunity when in a larger office. They also offer plenty of vacation time. .

Cons

Pay raises are very slow, even when you are a top performer.

Cigna Response

Apr 7, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with Cigna thus far! We appreciate your insights and feel the organization can provide a lot of opportunity for future growth in whatever ... More

The Cigna Medical Group in Phoenix ceased being about providing excellent healthcare and became all about productivity.

Current Employee - Physician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Physician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a physician, I can not think of any Pros to join Cigna Medical Group and actually practice medicine. Perhaps at the corporate level in Utilization Review or as a Medical Executive, there might be some job satisfaction in joining Cigna Healthcare.

Cons

HR within Cigna does not function to assist employees with on-boarding, education or career advancement. It function more like the Cigna Gastapo. The yearly performance review process is not based on true performance. It is based on the needs of the company. Rankings are quartiled. Regardless of ones performance, 50% of individuals in each department will receive a mediocre review and no merit raise or stocks. It is common knowledge that the pool of money for raises and long term benefits such as company stocks are also reduced each year when "Corporate" raids the pool to provide higher raises at the "Corporate" level back east. Management is top down, clickish and poorly monitored. The physicians in Cigna Medical Group have little or no opportunities to participate in the leadership and organization of the group. It is very much like the "Wack a Mole game. The individual who complains about anything gets waked. This has resulted in many new physicians to the group leaving as quickly as they can. Several of the Medical Directors have left for the same reasons. The physicians who have been with Cigna Medical Group for many years remember when the prime directive was to provide excellent care. It is very heard to leave the group when they are so near to the end of their careers, so they stay. The morale is terrible.

Advice to Management

I am loath to give any advice to Management as I know they will do nothing. It is all about the bottom line, the profit for the company. I understand that. All the physicians understand that. It is ultimately the decision of each physician to decide if they can work in that environment or not.