There are newer employer reviews for Cigna

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of support, great managers, lots of resources to educate self, great health insurance plan, treat employees well

Cons

nothing really negative to say

reviews filtered by
  1. Good organization, but slow to change culture

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Interesting work. Great people - smart and most are nice.

Cons

"Top down" culture. Doesn't gather ideas from the ground up. Very silo oriented - we do that, then they do this, then another does something else. Focus is more on the correct process than on the results at times. Makes the company less flexible, slower to change, more likely not to get it right the first time. Things I've heard that I am not used to hearing much in other jobs: "This is the way we do it here", "This is the way we are going to do it" and "That's not their decision to make".

Advice to Management

Everyone at the top says the right things to encourage creativity, e.g. "make something today, even if it is a mistake". They encourage people to step out and innovate. But in the middle it's more of a "do what I say" and "I know best" frame of mind. Middle managers should groom and promote subordinates more than themselves and find their success in others' creativity and success.

Good pay and work environment, but bureaucratic and no job security or career development

Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - IT Programmer/Analyst in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cigna is a stable company with good pay, a pleasant work environment, a great cafeteria and covered parking. If you are happy with your assignment, you will probably enjoy your work there. They have a good tuition reimbursement policy. They also have a good severance policy (see "Cons").

Cons

It is very difficult to change jobs internally. When your job is no longer needed, you will probably be let go. They are currently in the process of outsourcing nearly all of their IT jobs. It is unclear whether Cigna is committed to maintaining anything more than a sales office in Colorado. Management is well-established, and they rarely promote from within.

Advice to Management

Upper management conveys an upbeat, can-do, customer-focused, open-door attitude. However, at the local level, the attitude is mostly about self-preservation, any news that might be construed as negative must not be communicated up.