Cimarex Energy

Cimarex Energy Co. Review

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Cimarex Energy

Pros

The pay and benefits package are very good. The work environment has relatively low stress most of the time. Management encourages a focus on projects, but we are also given a degree of creative freedom. My colleagues are very talented and are always willing to share and help out if a difficult problem prevents progress.

Cons

The major downfall of working for Cimarex is really the same as it is for any energy company. Primarily the enforcement of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. It has added a significant amount of tedious overhead to our department. However, it has also forced us to be thorough and efficient.

Please continue to run the organization with an emphasis on consistent, sustained growth. I would love to know that Cimarex will be here for a hundred years if that is possible.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Cimarex Energy (View Most Recent)

I find cimarex to be intellectually stimulating with real opportunities to solve impactful challenges.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to candidly express your point of view back it up with sound data and well thought out methodology

Cons

Don't let yourself be micro managed. If you feel that way, you are not having candid and real conversations with your manager. Shame on you for blaming that on micro management. Engage in the solution, speak up and solve it. Because guess what, nobody else will do it for you

Communicate more to employees so all can share in the vision of the company. Continue to self reflect in order to self improve

Great benefits and work environment but limited growth potential due to top level micro-management.

Current Employee - Professional in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Professional in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent remuneration and benefit programs. Many skilled and experienced employees and a challenging professional work environment balanced with an understanding of employees personal needs.

Cons

Long term corporate growth potential is severely inhibited by upper management having to make ALL decisions. Communication is generally poor at mid to lower levels. Management needs to act on employee recommendations more and less on what competitors are doing. Overly conservative management style with a philosophy of; "if it works keep doing it" rather than "how can we do it better"? Competition among teams for funding and bonuses is not always in best interest of company overall.

Let go of overly micro-managing and give middle management some decision making authority. Lead the company into new areas and methods and don't follow other companies around because this limits growth and profitability. Be honest with employees and establish an annual performance review program. Apply science and employee professional training to problem solving more.

There are newer employer reviews for Cimarex Energy