There are newer employer reviews for Cimarex Energy

Excellent benefits, outstanding peers, but difficult political culture that impacts overall profitability.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

The health benefits, 401K and profit sharing are outstanding and "blue chip." Interdepartmental teamwork is collegial, productive, and professional.

Cons

Intradepartmental conflict is poorly managed from top down, primarily from technical shortcomings or outright timidity of mid management. Overall profitability is often impaired by parochial concerns and a culture of silence and timidity. The rhetoric of candor and irreverence is fully promoted until they are actually used.

Advice to Management

You're too big to benefit from micromanagement by senior-level executives. The sometimes-astonishing capabilities and acumen of upper management are poorly allocated, at least in exploration.

Other Employee Reviews for Cimarex Energy

Cimarex Energy Co. Review

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK

Pros

The pay and benefits package are very good. The work environment has relatively low stress most of the time. Management encourages a focus on projects, but we are also given a degree of creative freedom. My colleagues are very talented and are always willing to share and help out if a difficult problem prevents progress.

Cons

The major downfall of working for Cimarex is really the same as it is for any energy company. Primarily the enforcement of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. It has added a significant amount of tedious overhead to our department. However, it has also forced us to be thorough and efficient.

Advice to Management

Please continue to run the organization with an emphasis on consistent, sustained growth. I would love to know that Cimarex will be here for a hundred years if that is possible.

2. There's no place I'd rather be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've found Cimarex to be a top-notch institution in virtually all of my experiences so far. They've really emerged as one of the best-of-breed E&P companies, and after being here for almost a year, it's easy to see why. The people I've gotten to work with have been some of the smartest and most innovative thinkers yet. At Cimarex, the entire organization seems to be that way.

Cons

While the company continues to grow, it sometimes forgets that it isn't the tiny organization like it once was. This can lead to what some might call 'micromanaging' or a concentration of decision-making power toward the top. But if you work hard and do good work, I think you definitely have the opportunity for your work to be seen and to have a meaningful impact on the organization.

Advice to Management

Think about the company's future and the best way to manage the eventual succession. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing.