Cincinnati Financial

www.cinfin.com
  www.cinfin.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cincinnati Financial

It's a great place to work!

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

It's nice to work with people that are considerate of one another. It's a company with a lot of diversified Associates. The building/environment is very nice. Free parking - free soup/salad bar which are nice perks. Everyone seems to be very respectful of one another. There's good work/life balance.

Cons

Seems to be behind on technology and getting with the times as far as I.T. and social media goes.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Cincinnati Financial (View Most Recent)

Infuriating culture of deceit, secrecy, and finger pointing; IT begs for scraps from the master's table.

Current Employee - Developer in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Developer in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

If you happened to go to college with someone in upper management, you'll do very well for yourself here. Connections mean everything in this company.

The company is well respected in insurance circles, with arguably one of the better claim services in the industry. They really look after their customers.

Cons

Sadly, they don't take especially good care of their employees. Doubly so for IT personnel.

The culture of nepotism is such that people who are wholly unqualified for positions of seniority are promoted, usually to their own level of incompetence, thanks to a kindly word from a friend with influence. In a technical organization, this is a heinous oversight. We have utterly incompetent team leads, service managers, resource managers, and architects running the asylum. Of course, if you're the slightest bit vocal about these incompetencies, you're a troublemaker and will find yourself swiftly sidelined.

Communication within the company suffers from an overriding need for secrecy on even the slightest matters. There is absolutely zero transparency; senior management are well aware of just how incompetent their policies are, but are powerless to do anything about it - the policies and processes that exist would require a herculean effort to uproot and redo. Money is wasted at an alarming rate because management are paralyzed with indecision.

Technology has never been one of Cincinnati's strong points; it's estimated we lag five to eight years behind most other similarly-sized insurance companies. There's been a recent attempt at introducing up-to-date technologies and agile methods, but project management isn't up to the task. The future of entire IT departments are uncertain, as the company has gotten on the outsourcing bandwagon - again, several years behind the rest of the industry.

There's very much an "Us vs Them" attitude in IT; we're constantly butting heads with the various business units over patently unrealistic timelines. Their answer should be put to Gregorian chant music: "Release it on schedule and work on a hot-fix."

Mr. Johnston, you recently met with IT and shared your belief that we have the best people. Respectfully, we do not. We are bleeding intelligent and skilled engineers because they see the writing on the wall - whether that's because of outsourcing, lack of advancement opportunities, or because they don't get the recognition they deserve. The worst people are being promoted; they have the support from similarly unqualified friends in more senior positions.

Resource managers do nothing to truly evaluate the skill levels of their direct reports. How relevant are the skills of a team lead who has been with the company for 20+ years, yet can't explain what an Object Oriented language is?

Your best people are the ones who are passionate about what they do. When they stop talking and stop sharing their enthusiasm, you know they're headed out the door. Start listening to them. Please.

Look at the experiences of other companies who have outsourced - the ones who are desperately clawing to bring their operations back home. Don't listen to your self-serving cronies on the Board.

A nice place to work with good benefits and hardworking fellow employees

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Company has a good reputation and makes you feel proud to work there. Free soup and salad is a nice perk if you forget to bring lunch. The people really come together when fellow employees need help with personal matters such as death or health issues.

Cons

since my job is being slowly fazed out, I'm unsure what I will do next and no one is really communicating the options when that happens

There are newer employer reviews for Cincinnati Financial