Overall, good employer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very much a "what you make of it" type employer. If you work hard, there are plenty of opportunities. If you don't do much, you probably won't get far. The benefits are very good though over the years have degraded. And will probably continue to get worse.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end of the spectrum for individuals with degrees. You may hear that government employees make just as much money as those in the private sector plus they have wonderful benefits. I left the City for a position where I made a lot more money. The insurance was a little more pricey but the difference in pay more than made up for it.

Advice to Management

Understand that while you are need to keep the tax payers happy, if you don't get and keep high quality employees, you won't be able to provide the services that the tax payers demand.

Other Employee Reviews for Cincinnati

1. City Planner

Pros

Flex time and fairly open to innovative ideas, I was given lots of responsibility with little experience and received good mentor ship. The office culture was really good and most of the younger employees cared about the future of Cincinnati.

Cons

The pay was so-so. Some of the employees were clearly just hanging around to retire. This made more work for some. Times may have changed, though.

Advice to Management

Hire people with a fire.

2. Good people, too much politics at play. Benefits have been reduced since I first began.

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, working environment, great vacation accrual .

Cons

Slow pay raises, pyramid small at top with few promotional opportunities for young person.

Advice to Management

Fund the retirement system.