Circuit City

Best Job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

This job gave me some great benefits. Including great medical, dental, vision, 401k, and stock purchase program. I had on average 3-4 weeks paid vacation a year. The other staff was very pleasant and you can make some long term friendships there. The retail environment can give you some good down time and some good busy time. There was a great balance of both busy work and relaxing work. Working in the TV department gave me the ability to watch virtually any movie I could think of. The employee discount allowed me to get the entertainment system I always wanted.

Cons

The retail environment could be annoying at times, with working long hours, weekends, and holidays. Working on "black Friday" was the worst. It would typically be a 15-18 hour workday. Management would always pressure you to go over and beyond to sell the products without any type of compensation. Pushing the "warranty" program could be frustrating at times, if you did not sell it you would be scrutinized by your manager. The professionalism of your co-workers felt like you had an "after school job" and not a professional one. The ability for advancement could have been much better than what it was.

Keep up on internal business to your employees.

329 Other Employee Reviews for Circuit City (View Most Recent)

From $100 million in cash to out of business in 2 years flat!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

Technology, fast paced work environment, good associates in the store, good team atmosphere, good benefits and discount.

Cons

Every thing slowly got worse as I worked there, the discount got cut, good associates got laid off for making too much, the team atmosphere fell apart.The ICSE customer service model was a disaster, the was a disaster with all the talk of being different and better then best buy we proved it by throwing away the only differentiators we had left our great long term associates. I once questioned if it was necessary to pay someone $10-$15 an hour to sort music and dvd apparently it was.

Well with it out of business now its a little to late.

A good company that was poorly managed or the real way to take down a retail giant.

Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA
    Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

It was a company that believed ensuring associates were trained before any accountability could happen. The pay for managers was good.

Cons

Lack of a true vision to run the company. Not letting the individual stores run the business of selling goods. Too many checklists and audits for accountability. At times company would not let stores let associates go due to poor performance, always blamed managers for not training correctly.

Have a realistic positive plan to run the company. Do not change every 6 months. Support the stores and the associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Circuit City