Best Job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

This job gave me some great benefits. Including great medical, dental, vision, 401k, and stock purchase program. I had on average 3-4 weeks paid vacation a year. The other staff was very pleasant and you can make some long term friendships there. The retail environment can give you some good down time and some good busy time. There was a great balance of both busy work and relaxing work. Working in the TV department gave me the ability to watch virtually any movie I could think of. The employee discount allowed me to get the entertainment system I always wanted.

Cons

The retail environment could be annoying at times, with working long hours, weekends, and holidays. Working on "black Friday" was the worst. It would typically be a 15-18 hour workday. Management would always pressure you to go over and beyond to sell the products without any type of compensation. Pushing the "warranty" program could be frustrating at times, if you did not sell it you would be scrutinized by your manager. The professionalism of your co-workers felt like you had an "after school job" and not a professional one. The ability for advancement could have been much better than what it was.

Advice to Management

Keep up on internal business to your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A good company that was poorly managed or the real way to take down a retail giant.

Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA
    Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

It was a company that believed ensuring associates were trained before any accountability could happen. The pay for managers was good.

Cons

Lack of a true vision to run the company. Not letting the individual stores run the business of selling goods. Too many checklists and audits for accountability. At times company would not let stores let associates go due to poor performance, always blamed managers for not training correctly.

Advice to Management

Have a realistic positive plan to run the company. Do not change every 6 months. Support the stores and the associates.

2. Bye bye Circuit City, it has been fun and exciting journey.

Current Employee - Imaging Supervisor in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Imaging Supervisor in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Circuit City

Pros

It was a fun place to work and if you are into technology it is a place to find about new stuff coming out.

Cons

Went out of business and upper management ruined the company. Circuit City was a great comapany until they did that transformation move. Upper management should let the store level management run the store. They have more hands on connection with the employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be like the competition.