Circuit City

Best Job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Design Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

This job gave me some great benefits. Including great medical, dental, vision, 401k, and stock purchase program. I had on average 3-4 weeks paid vacation a year. The other staff was very pleasant and you can make some long term friendships there. The retail environment can give you some good down time and some good busy time. There was a great balance of both busy work and relaxing work. Working in the TV department gave me the ability to watch virtually any movie I could think of. The employee discount allowed me to get the entertainment system I always wanted.

Cons

The retail environment could be annoying at times, with working long hours, weekends, and holidays. Working on "black Friday" was the worst. It would typically be a 15-18 hour workday. Management would always pressure you to go over and beyond to sell the products without any type of compensation. Pushing the "warranty" program could be frustrating at times, if you did not sell it you would be scrutinized by your manager. The professionalism of your co-workers felt like you had an "after school job" and not a professional one. The ability for advancement could have been much better than what it was.

Keep up on internal business to your employees.

327 Other Employee Reviews for Circuit City (View Most Recent)

Phil Schoonover steps down at Circuit City

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

Discounts and staying up on the latest electronics

Cons

This place was not good at all. Management was terrible. There was no communication whatsoever. It was a hodgepodge shop where the people there lacked serious competence. We were always understaffed, probably because the customer service there, which i am ashamed to be apart of, was awful. Managers were never to be found. They were always "too busy", so I sit there with an angry customer trying to tell them that i have no power to handle the issue at hand. So they in turn start getting more angry at me and all i can say is "ummmmmmm, I'm sorry?"

Terrible. Some of the decisions that were made were questionable at best. Make sure you have middle management that know what they are doing. No college degree? No problem.

A good company that was poorly managed or the real way to take down a retail giant.

Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA
    Former Employee - Store Director in Sand City, CA

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

It was a company that believed ensuring associates were trained before any accountability could happen. The pay for managers was good.

Cons

Lack of a true vision to run the company. Not letting the individual stores run the business of selling goods. Too many checklists and audits for accountability. At times company would not let stores let associates go due to poor performance, always blamed managers for not training correctly.

Have a realistic positive plan to run the company. Do not change every 6 months. Support the stores and the associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Circuit City