Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Politics over performance, career advancement non-existant, top-heavy management

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Co-workers were always great. Management left much to be desired.
Some new technology explored but that depended on which group you worked in.

Cons

Advancement based on politics and not on performance. 5-10% of workforce routinely let go based on annual forced ranking (you ended up higher in ranking if you were friendlier with decision makers -- individual performance didn't matter). Managers never subjected (fired) based on the 5-10% ranking.

Management needs to severely trim middle and upper managers who fit one of the following: have no reports, were promoted based on Peter principle or who they knew, or are incompetent (based on poor team performance).

5815 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Cisco has out sourced it's culture and now we're out sourcing our common sense and good judgement

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Large company, still recognized as good branding on your resume. Work life balance is ok.
    Pay is ok, but not competitive with other industry leaders. There are good people still left in the company to mentor you, but they are quickly leaving.

Cons

Cisco is in a constant Limited Restructure (Lay off) mode. When a group fails at a project the leadership moves to another group and the engineers are laid off. Way to many VPs Directors and managers. There are managers with only one or two people under them. Same with Directors and VPs. Cisco has lost its focus and the Senior Leadership team is driving the ship into the icebergs. Pay raises and promotions are only available to the managers and above. Cisco considers it an insult to give a 2% pay raise to cover cost of living, so they may give you 5% every 5 or 6 years. Recent Cisco motto is Be thankful you have a job!

The market says it well, Cisco is dead in the waters. We are the laughing stock of San Jose as well as Wall Street. Fire the board members and change the whole Senior Leadership. ANd maybe the stock will go up and we can regain our self respect finally. Stop out sourcing jobs to boost your stock options and pay.

Good Company

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good products, lots of resources, sharp employees

Cons

Inconsistent salary increases, too partner dependent.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems