There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Test Eng  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Systems Test Eng in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

As long as it's in networking if you get bored in one area you can move to almost any other area.

Cons

It can be slow to change, in certain areas that are changing quickly.

Have them try to be more universal and policies rather than letting each BU decide on its own.

4967 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Proud to be a part of the Cisco family

Current Employee - Director of Marketing  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco cares about the employee and the environment as well as the shareholders. Cisco is an influential company with a large stake in the development and health of the global economy. People listen to you more carefully when you have a Cisco logo on your card. No other company has the ability to take risks and execute strategy the way that Cisco does. Leadership at Cisco means just that - it's a company that really values the ability of creative people to inspire greatness in others. Fair compensation and good benefits.

Cons

It's a large company and process can sometimes become cumbersome.

Continue to focus on the future market transitions and allow the rest of the company the freedom to execute. Remain committed to innovation in all forms.

Good place to work but it can feel like a Dilbert cartoon at times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

For what I do, I have reasonable deadlines and usually clearly defined goals. I'm rarely bored at my job.

Cons

When budgets are cut then you read what VPs make, it makes you wonder where all the money is going. I have to bust my butt for a few shares of stock while VPs routinely exercise HUNDREDS of thousands of shares of stock. The company says they're Web 2.0 savvy but they're really not. Hiring young talent is an issue. When all the execs wear 3-piece suits and drive fancy cars and expect you to dress like them when meeting with them, it's going to be a challenge to hire a bright young person who wants to wear shorts to work. Many of the executives don't blog or use new web technologies to do their jobs or live their lives. I think some of them have their heads too high up in the clouds. The buildings are atrocious; they're all tan and beige inside and out.

You are not gods. Many people live in fear of all of you. There is an undercurrent of fear in the company. I consistently hear people saying they should not disagree with executives. Cisco supposedly has a "no retaliation" policy. I have friends in HR who have told me retaliation against employees by management occurs all the time. There is a Code of Business Conduct that all employees are required to sign. Many executives violate the rules in this Code on a daily basis.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!