Cisco Systems

A great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

-very open to work from home provided you deliver
-very visionary top management

Cons

-has gotten a bit bureaucratic especially in the middle management layers

5314 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Great Start 8 years ago - now a really lousy place to work

Current Employee - Director, Business Development Cisco Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development Cisco Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Open Framework and employee empowerment limited by excess process and layers of management. Culture is under considerable pressure with layoffs and reductions. Great place for a college student but if you are over 50 they want to get you out of the company. The loss of margins in their routing and switching business will cause many years of pain.

Cons

Too many directors, VP and SVP's protecting turf and process. Chambers blew it with Wall Street but the board gave him his job again for 3 years which is something many employees don't understand since all stock options are under water and stock options are gone. The story of being easier to do business with Cisco is complete BS at the transaction level as there are no changes in process to get deals done. If you complain at Cisco you are put on a black list by executives. They don't want to hear bad news so why complain if you want to protect your career?

Fire Chambers and bring real accountability to the managers and directors. Stop the lip service to Walls Streeet since the reality is that Cisco has not really changed at the street mangement level. Stop kidding yourself as you are in a declining margin business in routing and switching which is half of your busines. John needs to run for political office since he is a brillant politician but an average CEO. Flip proved Cisco's executive incompetence. Try to build back innnovation into the core business and stop praying that video and new collaboration technologies will save the day. Keep focus on transparency and process improvement instead of just changing PowerPoint slides with success messages. I really wish the best for Cisco but it is now too big to bring fundamental change. I am looking to leave the company since it now longer creates wealth or career growth and is just a job with limited ability for me to grow beyond my current role. I do admit I am paid well by Cisco.

Powerful Company, but High-Level Politics Thwart Progress

Current Employee - Product Management Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

World-class company, lots of talented people. Lots of great training and help for employees. Company respects individuals.

Cons

Epic battles between SVPs frustrate alignment and good ideas.

Structure for alignment at the SVP level. SVPs that play politics should be removed.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems