Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
  www.cisco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Cisco is a leading company in employee collaboration, diversity, and quality of work experience

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

One of Cisco's greatest pros is work/life balance the company provides to its employees; there is great flexibility when taking time off, and/or working remotely (ie. from home). In addition, Cisco provides its employees with excellent collaboration tools that allow for flexibility in work schedules, and an improved interface between employees in locations around the world. Cisco is an incredibly diverse company, and fosters an environment that is truly global. Lastly, I would cite that Cisco is a very generous company when it comes to benefits and caring for its employees.

Cons

Career development and Recognition have been cited by employees as areas Cisco needs to improve in. At least in my business segment, promotions are rare, and as someone who is rather low in the corporate ladder, there is very little room for growth. In addition, there are very few (if any) mentors among senior staff members that can help younger employees grow in their careers.

5427 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Large and chaotic

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco is a great place to develop technical knowledge, communicate with smart people, and advance a career. There are wonderful tools for collaboration and management is very supportive of employees.

Cons

Cisco is very big, and feels even bigger. The organization structure is complicated and yet it must be understood in order to be an effective employee. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And different business units are in constant competition with one another, frequently for internal attention and resources, and sometimes in the external marketplace too. Senior management doesn't seem to understand technology and industry strategy, at least not well enough to make difficult decisions and provide real leadership. After a year on the job, I'm still not really sure how to make a difference and create value for the company.

On a more personal level, while I'm satisfied with the salary and bonus structure at Cisco, I'm unhappy to find that the benefits are not as good as my previous employer. The health insurance plans are expensive and don't provide any significant benefits unless they're heavily used, because of deductibles, co-pays, etc. Frankly, I'd be willing to pay higher employee contributions for a better plan, but my previous employer's plan was better and less expensive.

The vacation / PTO allowance is pretty standard, but after starting with Cisco I found out that there are "mandatory PTO" days at the end of each year. In other words, some PTO days (approx 3 per year) are not available for the employee to use as they wish, but are effectively "holiday" days. Since my previous employer gave me 5 days more than Cisco (actually 10 days more than Cisco, due to my tenure; 5 days more for new employees), I was already expecting a step backwards - the mandatory PTO just makes it worse.

The company needs better distribution of authority and empowerment. The smartest technical people aren't empowered to make technical decisions, and the business leadership isn't aligned correctly. Cisco has a poor balance between "too many chiefs" and yet not enough distributed empowerment.

Further, decision makers are often focused too narrowly. The right decision in a narrow context is frequently the wrong decision for the company, employees, products, etc.

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Nice place to work. Good atmosphere and nice people to work with. Balanced between work and personal life.

Cons

Bonus earned is not satisfactory. The communication from the top management could be more better.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems