Scientific Atlanta was awesome until Cisco bought them

Former Employee - Technical Leader in Lawrenceville, GA
Former Employee - Technical Leader in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Co-workers were great. Very little in the way of office politics among non-managerial co-workers. Work environment was excellent, and I generally had all the equipment I needed. Salary was the on the high end. If you're fortunate to land in a group doing new development and be assigned that work, then the work can be very exciting.

Cons

In the video group I was in, the low level management was in constant flux, so there was no loyalty to direct reports. Sometimes as many as 3 managers telling a team of 2 engineers what to do. While there was a high level of technical skill and work ethic among managers, their managerial people skills were terrible. Software engineers treated more as cogs than people. Large influx of contractors added to this feeling. John Chambers preaches the "Cisco is family" ethic... I saw no evidence of it here. While I had occasional times of good work, most of work was boring... fixing or triaging bugs mainly. I know a co-worker still working there, one of the sharpest engineers I know, have his project cancelled. He's now talking of leaving in a couple of years. When I was there, the video group was constantly being reorganized. There is some opportunity to move around, but you're just as likely to get stuck in a dead-end job. I was very happy to leave this company.

Advice to Management

Teach you managers to respect and treat engineers as people. Create and enfore polocies that allow engineers greater opportunity to move to different groups.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good, but not great, place to work

Former Employee - Satisfaction Depends On Your Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Work from home options are prevalent in many teams, and are a great benefit. There is a culture of "work-life" balance, and most (but not all) managers recognize that. It's a fast-paced and sometimes fun place to work, again, in the right team and under the right manager.

Cons

Is hard to know "how" to get to the next level for promotion or pay raise. The goal you are given is to "perform at the next level so that you can be promoted there", but then, there is no definition of what that next level is.

Advice to Management

Define job responsibilities and give a clear path for advancement to employees.

My overall experience was ok with this company.

Former Employee - CSM in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - CSM in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Excellent benefits, and base pay is above average for area.

Cons

Very difficult to obtain a raise.

Advice to Management

Too much favorite playing makes it difficult for the other employee's who are working just as hard to excel in the company. More attention to hard work and rewarding hard work needs to be looked at.