a better place to work

Current Employee - Programmer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Programmer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

* interesting work if you choose to look for it. The base code has evolved over the last twenty+ years.
* great people
* telecommuting
* reasonable pay and benefits
* work / life balance
* both public and monetary recognition for a job well done

Cons

The same problems one finds everywhere:
* politics politics politics
* Promotion is often based on cliques.
* Far too many middle managers.
* no management consistency -- one manager will allow telecommuting, another will not.
* the company is no longer a startup, and new technologies are purchased, not developed in house

Advice to Management

Trim management levels. There are far too many middle managers with 0 - 3 direct reports.

reviews filtered by
  1. John Chambers is a great leader, and I would not want to work for anyone else, but some changes may be needed.

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

You Can "Follow Your Nose" at Cisco, and find an area of interest that fits what you want to do. AS a broad based technology company, you can migrate to an area where you are passionate, and make significant contributions to industry direction.

Cons

You can work as much as you want. As a remote employee, I work more hours now than I ever did at any previous job.

The office politics have seemed to increase over the last few years, and this is a barrier to the creative and innovative spirit of many Cisco employees.

Advice to Management

Watch for "gatekeepers" at the middle management layer. There are many bright and innovative people at the individual contributor level, and their creativity is often suppressed if it does not align with the mid-level management initiatives.

Bring back the "hire the top 5 and fire the bottom 10" stance.

2. Great company to work for with competitive salary and great benefits, but promotion is slow.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco offers competitive starting salaries and great benefits. The company provides free coffee, drinks and popcorn. Management is very flexible with the work schedule. Most engineers get in the office between 9-10am and work from home about once a week. Vacation time is generous and requests are rarely denied.

Cons

Because projects are always getting cancel, it is very hard to get a salary increase or promotion since you keep reporting to different managers. Most companies give a 3-5% salary increase if you meet expectation, but I have been working for Cisco for over 2 years and my salary remains the same.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!