There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

It's big and it pays well

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cisco has made it a corporate policy to pay at the 75% level for their industry, meaning that they will pay more than 75% of their peers. That means you get a good salary and lots of bonus opportunities (stock units, spot bonuses, etc.). This makes it hard to leave even if you are unhappy with the company itself.

Cons

The company is slow and stodgy with a culture that is very risk averse. It takes at least 1 year to release anything significant and you should expect that many products or features will never actually be launched no matter how important they are. There are lots of hoops to jump through, review cycles, and red tape. Creating anything truly ground-breaking is nearly impossible due to the politics involved and the multiple layers of management. As a result, many of the people who are at the company are "lifers" -- people who have decided that they get paid well enough to stay where they are but who aren't interested in really pushing the boundaries.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

Great opportunities for personal growth

Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities available for career growth, great for people looking for challenges state of the art of technologies Multicultural Environment Great "name", allows to open more doors.

Cons

expectations raise every year, so no room for who want to relax. Burocracy, some time is odd. work a lot of hours Few "fun" activities

Advice to Management

Optimize the financial acumen, use ROI of big deals and not on small steps.

2. Great culture, aggressive and fast paced.

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cisco puts you in a position to learn what you want at the level you want to learn at. I found management was keyed in to what I was wanting to achieve w/my career.

Cons

I can't really put my finger on any issue. As I recollect I mismanaged some facets of my career and ended up burning out. I did not jump at some opportunities presented to me and stayed in the same job for too long, but that was my own doing.