Summer Intern

Former Intern - GSO Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - GSO Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support from my manager and was free to chase projects that I wanted to initiate. The people in my team were always willing to help.

Cons

Meetings were often held just for the meeting's sake. Not much follow-up and progress from meeting to meeting. Sometimes, I wanted/needed more direction on what to do. Too many people worked remotely from home and was hard to get in touch with them.

Advice to Management

Review remote work policy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great opportunity for exposure to industry, albeit falls short of a new hires' expectations.

Current Contractor - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Contractor - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great exposure for new grads to the industry. Cisco integrates many technologies into their routers, although there is no attempt to re-invent the wheel.

Cons

No major R&D seems to be done at Cisco. The high level proprietary algorithms or digital designs seem to be done by third party companies, and asic designers like Marvell, Broadcom, Zarlink, etc.. Cisco is very large, so hard to make widesweeping generalizations...but in the two business units I have worked in...a test engineering, and a hardware design group...there is a lack of interest in developing the youthful engineer. People are happy keeping them dumb, and giving them more menial work to do within the test group, and the design group avoids giving them high priority debug projects...the focus is on time to market for the next gen routers...so much so that the designs of each generation are becoming cookie cutter copies of the previous, with just slight variations, and modularity added.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote more youth...yes older, wiser, experienced people, will get the job done today, and meet that deadline you set unwisely two months from now, but youthful energetic engineers will out learn, out grow, and eventually outpace the more experienced engineers. Look at the average age of Google, and Apple employees...still wonder why their stock is worth so much more than Cisco's?

2. Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of diverse products and technologies

Cons

Politics, no documentation, too much time to make decisions