There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Bloated and Top Heavy Cisco

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary, Benefits, and Work Environment

Cons

Poorly managed large company. Not nimble and no longer a thought leader. Product quality is slipping

Not sure.... heading in the same direction as Nortel and ALU

4903 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Bittersweet

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Still some terrific folks around, despite the politicians' best efforts to eradicate the few free-thinkers left.

Cons

Those of us who have been around longer than 10 years remember Cisco as a cutting-edge environment. Agile and young, we used to make smart, strategic decisions. Smart acquisitions. It used to be fun. We're going on nearly a decade of indecisive leadership, unreasonable changes, lack of strategy, and all our decisions seem to be based on politics. It feels as though we've lost our competitive edge in the market and employees across the company are feeling its de-motivating effects. Pulse scores are low, opportunity is low, morale is low.

Our leaders need to take some serious and real measures to re-evaluate the direction of the company. They may not realize how lackluster the environment has become. Trim the fat at the top and middle of the company. We have too many chiefs and too many people trying to squeeze into chief hats that there's nobody left to think and work. Who's planning the strategy?

My Cisco experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits package, good entry on one's Resume esp. if 1st job after graduation. Also, technology versatility enables horizontal / lateral mobility (at least, during the good times for the economy and the company). Also, company is supportive of continued education / getting advanced or business degree while working full-time.

Cons

Too much politics, nepotism, way too many incompetent managers and useless directors who don't really direct anyone or anything -- too thick middle-layer mgmt, too much emphasis on image and 'messaging', not enough on improving practices, rewarding hard work, making better products.

Way too much of middle-layer mgmt, too much emphasis on image and 'messaging', not enough on improving practices, rewarding hard work, making better products.
    Too many promotions into mgmt. based on 'friends and family', not abilities or real merit. Nepotism -- certain groups have been entirely taken over by predominantly not very competent South Indian decent-engineer-turned -horrible -manager; blatant nepotism, blatant biases in promotions, rewards etc. (South Indians vs. how everyone else is treated incl. North Indians and all others)

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!