There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Bittersweet

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Still some terrific folks around, despite the politicians' best efforts to eradicate the few free-thinkers left.

Cons

Those of us who have been around longer than 10 years remember Cisco as a cutting-edge environment. Agile and young, we used to make smart, strategic decisions. Smart acquisitions. It used to be fun. We're going on nearly a decade of indecisive leadership, unreasonable changes, lack of strategy, and all our decisions seem to be based on politics. It feels as though we've lost our competitive edge in the market and employees across the company are feeling its de-motivating effects. Pulse scores are low, opportunity is low, morale is low.

Our leaders need to take some serious and real measures to re-evaluate the direction of the company. They may not realize how lackluster the environment has become. Trim the fat at the top and middle of the company. We have too many chiefs and too many people trying to squeeze into chief hats that there's nobody left to think and work. Who's planning the strategy?

4912 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

A good company to retire at, sinking ship

Former Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer  in  Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) Chance to work with seasoned engineers who are good at what they do.
    2) Large company, relatively stable
    3) Well structured, many support groups SI, DevTest, Diags, EDVT, Mechanical, Manufacturing, etc...
    4) Good benefits, healthcare is best benefit one now.

Cons

1) Meetings about meetings
    2) Management's lack of foresight in project planning
    3) Cronyism, Cisco is an amalgam of many smaller businesses, due to acquisitions. Each group has their own culture and school of thought. If your group is merged with another group, and your group is not on top, attrition will ensue.
    4) Innovation seems to be mostly due to acquisitions, this company is little r big D. Do not expect to do anything beyond the mold of the immediate project, unless you are in the upper echelons of the company (DE or Fellow).
    5) A company a recent college graduate should not consider, growth is limited. A start-up or younger company would be better.
    6) Pay is industry average. You can do better.
    7) Senior management has mislead the CEO for years. They indicate the market is moving in a specific direction when it is not.
    8) While age discrimination is not permitted, the management finds ways to make it happen. Over 60 and chances of being fodder for the headcount reduction increase.
    9) The days seems to flow seamlessly by. Each day seems more and more like the last. Before you know it, months of time have passed into the abyss.
    10) Due to stress, people have experience heart trouble. I have gone though 2 anxiety attacks before the age of 30. Heart medication is likely to be required by your doctor, should you even be a first line manager.
    11) Cisco is becoming more and more like a Chinese-owned company.
    12) Management has a propensity to not tell the truth. They have and will continue to mislead the ICs (non-management employees) about their prospects for advancement and the direction the company is going in.

Consider a more reasonable schedule for the projects. It is a bad idea to pull in project schedules by months in order to make up for marketing's inability to plan. Knee-jerk reactions to any problem, without understanding the intricacies of why it exists and what is the best course of action in the long run, wrecks havoc with other groups.

Bloated and Top Heavy Cisco

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary, Benefits, and Work Environment

Cons

Poorly managed large company. Not nimble and no longer a thought leader. Product quality is slipping

Not sure.... heading in the same direction as Nortel and ALU

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!