Bittersweet

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Still some terrific folks around, despite the politicians' best efforts to eradicate the few free-thinkers left.

Cons

Those of us who have been around longer than 10 years remember Cisco as a cutting-edge environment. Agile and young, we used to make smart, strategic decisions. Smart acquisitions. It used to be fun. We're going on nearly a decade of indecisive leadership, unreasonable changes, lack of strategy, and all our decisions seem to be based on politics. It feels as though we've lost our competitive edge in the market and employees across the company are feeling its de-motivating effects. Pulse scores are low, opportunity is low, morale is low.

Advice to Management

Our leaders need to take some serious and real measures to re-evaluate the direction of the company. They may not realize how lackluster the environment has become. Trim the fat at the top and middle of the company. We have too many chiefs and too many people trying to squeeze into chief hats that there's nobody left to think and work. Who's planning the strategy?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very political environment, not for the faint of heart!

Former Employee - Director Operations in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director Operations in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a lot of smart people (regretfully they are not always in leadership positions) If you can take the numerous re-organizations, there is often opportunity to learn more and broaden your resume

Cons

Politics reign supreme Politics determine who gets ahead, regardless of competence or lack thereof Insane work hours, every re-organization means more work

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes, align strategy to execution (too many people doing the strategy work, who are oblivious to execution implications), don't forget end customer and Channel Partners, who are integral to your success (work to make their "experience" easier!).

2. BIG Company! But there's a chance to make some $ depending on what you're selling.

Current Employee - Cosulting Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Cosulting Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Massive resources at your disposal. Some of the smartest engineers on the planet are available to help you sell your products.

Cons

Management is WAY out of touch with the sales teams on the street. If you're not selling the "hot product" of the moment it's easy to feel forgotten and isolated.