There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

They will take good care of you

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company that will take good care of you as long as you "take care" of them (i.e. don't do anything bad)

Cons

Typical large company - slow-moving, lots of politics, and 1-2 reorgs every year - so you'll go through many different managers

Advice to Management

Get to personally know your employees - they are human, not just worker robots. My favorite managers were the ones who actually cared that you had a family and know that a job is just a job.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

Cisco is overall, a great place to work, with smart & motivated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people solving hard problems. Good leadership in place, though John Chambers should probably look to retire soon

Cons

The company is getting bigger and slower. Fewer young and up-and-coming aggressive types in the company these days. The company is facing increasing threats of commoditization by Chinese competitors and architectures like SDN.

Advice to Management

Thank John for his contributions and look for fresh blood at the senior ranks. Clean up the board and move out Jerry Yang and Carole Bartz in favor of board members that will challenge management thinking

Pretty lame place to work

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What pros? Come on, everyone I work with wants to leave. Some are actively looking outside the company. Let me see if I can think of a Pro.......pay...sucks.....management.....sucks, nope no Pros.

Cons

See above. But let me elaborate. Stocks suck. Company does not have a clue or identity any longer. Management in my team seems extremely distracted, even during my 1:1. Clueless is a good word to use. My annual evaluation was just a repeat of everything I used for my goals, nothing of substance, no personal assessment. Just lame. How fast can I get out of here! Help.

Advice to Management

Get a new job that you actually care about. Your lack of caring, concern and ethics is very transparent!