Great Company to be with

Former Contractor - IT Analyst in San Jose, CA
Former Contractor - IT Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Futuristic company Lots of Career Growth opportunities. Contractor friendly Organization.

Cons

Its a human ocean and one needs to work strategically to get on to the growth track. Need to be self motivated and rest will be provided.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

A place lacking in innovation, full of cultural nepotism.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company benefits, decent salary. Allowed telecommuting.

Cons

The management and culture is just poisonous. They have no culture of innovation or risk taking. The development team is just focused on short term gains. As an engineer I was bored out of my mind porting crappy work from other divisions that were favored even though more than once we have developed a better solution. Five years later they relented and let us rework that project to produce better reliability. But it was after the issues that caused them to lose customers. I worked in a BU that was managed by one culture and unless you went to the same temple and were part of that dynasty you were passed up for promotions and good projects. They cleaned up some house since 2009 but the same issues take place that I discussed earlier. I can tell the issues I raised still remain to this day when I interview unhappy Cisco engineers that sound defeated and frustrated and want to work elsewhere. My sign should have been when we could not attract college grads to join. I have to say I learned very little as a development engineer in the 10+ years I worked there. I did learn a lot about networking however.

Advice to Management

You seriously need to clean up house, and hire entrepreneuring engineers and allow them to take risk. Otherwise you will continue to lose your edge and attract rest and vest attitudes that will just bring the company down.

Excellent internship experience

Former Intern - College Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - College Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, very knowledgeable peers from top universities, work is good, good compensation and you learn a lot. Flexibility and work/life balance is unmatched. Free movie tickets, tickets to amusement park, free frequent lunches, great gym, free train pass, lot of intern events with free food, pays for your tuition, San Jose a good place to live. College grads like me these days wants to work for more recent brands like Google, facebook, linkedin, twitter but companies like CISCO and others who have been there from decades are great places to start your career.

Cons

Since its a big organization, promotions and increments are not very frequent and can take time. But again, if you are talented and hardworking, you will get promotions and increments for sure.

Advice to Management

Give more challenging work and dont let people sit ideal