There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Excessive Cronynism - Too Many Politics

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, training and educational opportunities, benefits

Cons

Excessive management, horrible stack rating - meaning you don't get raises or promotions unless you are someone's favorite in upper management, excessive work hours and work load, praise on how well you play the system instead of how good your work is. Politics in this company get worse with each layer of management. No one wants to hear that something won't work even when it won't, they just want to hear you say yes as they take credit for your work. Too many contract workers that have worked in the same position for 5+ years. Positions are made for friends without posting requisitions. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Stop the cronyism. Allow review of managers by staff. Change the raise and promotion system, you should not go seven years without a pay increase. I am sure all the executives are not missing out on yearly increases.

5130 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

A place lacking in innovation, full of cultural nepotism.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company benefits, decent salary. Allowed telecommuting.

Cons

The management and culture is just poisonous. They have no culture of innovation or risk taking. The development team is just focused on short term gains. As an engineer I was bored out of my mind porting crappy work from other divisions that were favored even though more than once we have developed a better solution. Five years later they relented and let us rework that project to produce better reliability. But it was after the issues that caused them to lose customers. I worked in a BU that was managed by one culture and unless you went to the same temple and were part of that dynasty you were passed up for promotions and good projects. They cleaned up some house since 2009 but the same issues take place that I discussed earlier. I can tell the issues I raised still remain to this day when I interview unhappy Cisco engineers that sound defeated and frustrated and want to work elsewhere.

My sign should have been when we could not attract college grads to join. I have to say I learned very little as a development engineer in the 10+ years I worked there. I did learn a lot about networking however.

You seriously need to clean up house, and hire entrepreneuring engineers and allow them to take risk. Otherwise you will continue to lose your edge and attract rest and vest attitudes that will just bring the company down.

CISCO

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco is still the biggest networking company in Routing and Switching and will be around for many years to come.

Cons

Cisco has been cutting down on expenses on employee over the year and it is now just another place to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems