Summer Internship at Cisco

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the pros of working for Cisco was being able to work on cool products and devices that will continue and improve the internet. Another pro of working for Cisco was a relaxed and comfortable work environment. As an intern, I was given the same freedom and regular employees, I could work from home, arrive and leave work when it was convient for me, and I could wear normal street clothes to work.

Cons

One of the cons of working for Cisco was that I did not feel like I was being challenged by the assignments I was given for my internship. I also did not feel like i was surrounded by a lot of very intelligent people as I normally do at college.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Excellent internship experience

Former Intern - College Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - College Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, very knowledgeable peers from top universities, work is good, good compensation and you learn a lot. Flexibility and work/life balance is unmatched. Free movie tickets, tickets to amusement park, free frequent lunches, great gym, free train pass, lot of intern events with free food, pays for your tuition, San Jose a good place to live. College grads like me these days wants to work for more recent brands like Google, facebook, linkedin, twitter but companies like CISCO and others who have been there from decades are great places to start your career.

Cons

Since its a big organization, promotions and increments are not very frequent and can take time. But again, if you are talented and hardworking, you will get promotions and increments for sure.

Advice to Management

Give more challenging work and dont let people sit ideal

Excessive Cronynism - Too Many Politics

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, training and educational opportunities, benefits

Cons

Excessive management, horrible stack rating - meaning you don't get raises or promotions unless you are someone's favorite in upper management, excessive work hours and work load, praise on how well you play the system instead of how good your work is. Politics in this company get worse with each layer of management. No one wants to hear that something won't work even when it won't, they just want to hear you say yes as they take credit for your work. Too many contract workers that have worked in the same position for 5+ years. Positions are made for friends without posting requisitions. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Advice to Management

Stop the cronyism. Allow review of managers by staff. Change the raise and promotion system, you should not go seven years without a pay increase. I am sure all the executives are not missing out on yearly increases.