There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Summer Internship at Cisco

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the pros of working for Cisco was being able to work on cool products and devices that will continue and improve the internet. Another pro of working for Cisco was a relaxed and comfortable work environment. As an intern, I was given the same freedom and regular employees, I could work from home, arrive and leave work when it was convient for me, and I could wear normal street clothes to work.

Cons

One of the cons of working for Cisco was that I did not feel like I was being challenged by the assignments I was given for my internship. I also did not feel like i was surrounded by a lot of very intelligent people as I normally do at college.

5111 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Many smart folks, but need to play the game to advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with smart people around the globe. Ability to travel. Lots of resources at your disposal. Flexible schedule and enlightened telecommuting policy. Job stability with good benefits.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Need to self promote to get ahead. Frequent talk about "customer focus" often not backed up with actions. Decent salary, but not stellar.

Focus. Three to five year priorities the change every year are one year priorities.

I enjoyed the people I worked with

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in some areas of the company. Good pay and benefits. Worked from home for over five years made for a great work-life balance. If you find the right group the work can be very satisfying.

Cons

Too many people that don't contribute to the value of the company should be let go but the process for firing people takes 6+ months. Therefore, there are many people that are just moved around to avoid the firing process. Managers are "highly" encouraged to move people rather than fire them. Cisco seems to side with the bad employee for fear of reprisal and litigation.
    Too many people caught up in following the "shiny ball" and not doing the right thing for the customer.
    Little innovation from within the company. Difficult to get promoted unless you have a technology background.
    Cutting free soda seemed like a good idea from a cost standpoint but had a greater negative impact on moral. It's the little things.

Take a hard look at some of the programs to enhance the customer/channels buying experience. Get "real" feedback from the actual customer/channels using the application. Don't spend $10+ million on a program that could be done for 1/10 the cost.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems