Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com

Company still too top heavy, but with some great employees

Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere are some wonderful employees at Cisco, and generally a very strong work ethic. Most people are genuinely trying to do their best for the company. There is a good opportunity to work globally and certainly to experience interaction with people from around the world, using virtual collaboration tools.

ConsWeak HR means that managers deal with an antiquated performance management process (based on a 15 year old GE model); lots of unhealthy politics at the SVP level and too many Directors sitting pretty due to tenure; recent RIFs have taken a slice out of the workforce, but not out of the much more expensive layers of the organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the new HR leader to implement real and substantive change to performance management, management education, and to create an independent HR function. Before relentlessly pursuing a shared service model, perform adequate impact assessments on the impacted functions - we're entering a world of pain in the name of Opex cutting, which will have to be reversed when the complaints become too great to ignore (by which time, the orchestrators will have been promoted or moved to their next 'big' role at another tech company.

A golden cage

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Netanya (Israel)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Salary, yearly bonus, nice atmosphere, no pressure Cons: rare promotions, not many career oppotunities, politics Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

it was awesome

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: it is my dream to work in cisco. Cons: i worked as a network engineer and enjoyed the company… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Cisco Systems.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!