Cisco Systems

Wanna know about Cisco?

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco is a great company to build someone's career at. Gaining 5+ years at Cisco is not only a resume builder for a young person starting his/or her's career, but also having the knowledge in the latest technologies (DC virtualization, CORE/EDGE Routing, UC, Telepresence, etc). I've gained wonderful experiences at Cisco and very proud to work for a company with a great name recognition and being a part of some of the most innovative ideas with some of the brightest folks. This is a great place to start a career if you only have 5 to maybe 8 years work experience. Also, you benefit from its strong benefits but it might be changing due to the down economy. The company paid for my MBA school ($60k) and supported me through any career developments I wanted to tackle.

Furthermore, I loved working at Cisco because they are world-class in how they treat their employees during a restructuring. Cisco typically lay-off policy is that you get 60 days to find a job within the company. If you cannot find a job within after the 60 days, then the company gives a 4 months severance + COBRA paid for during those 4 months. Hence, it is like a 6 months severance period. Also, Cisco pays 4 months of services for an executive search firm (Lee Hecht Harrison) to help you polish up on your interview skills, and resume building, and how to network. That is not bad compared to other companies.

Cons

Though, I think Cisco is a great company, there are some downsides. I think the number #1 downside for me that has been frustrating is expanding my career within the company. I started at Cisco within IT and after my MBA school, I wanted to explore to the Sales Organization and try to work with the account teams. Though I made that transition, it was very very difficult to crack into it. I did it through tireless networking and a ton of referrals. I will always be grateful for my manager in the sales org. to give me a shot. But truthfully, Cisco is a typical large company that does not allow folks to move from one discipline to another. The company would rather have you quit, gain the experience outside, then come back to the company serving the job function you would want. Or during the most recent restructuring (6k people were impacted), the company would rather lay you off, then rehire folks who have that skill/talent. I hate mentioning that because that is classic business-school 101. However, I know that HR is trying to rectify that problem. However, I doubt it will work due to the culture of the company.

Another downside is getting promotions. Though as I mention that it is a great place to start anyone's career (which is very true), the company does not do a great job of giving you promotions to keep you. I've been at Cisco for 5+ years and never had a promotion. Though, I've had several raises, never received a promotion (keep in mind I went from IT to sales which is maybe the reason I did not get a promotion. Starting in a new org. brings you back to square one on the promotion track). It is very difficult and political to receive promotions at Cisco. So something to think about, if you are interviewing for a position within Cisco, try to get the highest possible grade level you can, If you are a mid-level manager. If you are someone straight out of school, then you are at the mercy of the company compensating you cheap compared to its competitors.

Try to help employees who wants to change career directions to facilitate that.

5412 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, challenging and fun.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great place to form a career and learn about the networking industry.

Cons

Can be long hours. The environment is mostly good but can become competitive at times.

Work with the employees all the way down into the trenches.

Good company.

Former Employee - Software Engineer- Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer- Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

great company, good place to work.

Cons

big size company, you can easily get lost

Should pay attention to improve moral of the employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems