There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Satisfied with my work within Cisco

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition support
Work life balance
Fair salary
Promotional opportunities (long run, not short)

Cons

Limited potential and promotional opportunities in short term (e.g. Not sure why if you get promoted its almost guaranteed a year "time off" of the promotional treadmill to make space for others).
Salary growth
Stock price
Bureaucracy and levels of management

Advice to Management

I am an engineer - please make communication of my directives and priorities very clear and concise. I know what is expected from me by my manager and their manager about him. But I get lost in the multitude of corporate communications which see to hit my inbox every week, seemingly from different levels on different directives.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best work years of my 27 years working

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

feel empowered to do my job. working toward something greater then me and actually contributing toward "Changing the way we Work, Live, Play, and Learn"

Cons

A great technology company that is a bit behind the times regarding internal technology infrastructure required for operating and financially managing the company.

Somewhat stingy with promotions though other factors and benefits outweigh this issue.

Advice to Management

This is geared toward Finance Management: start promoting your talent or you will see an acceleration of the current brain drain.

Engineers Stay Away

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

800 pound gorilla in the networking industry.
    Involved in almost every aspect of communications.
    Opportunities to be involved in full product development life cycle involving almost any imaginable communications technology.
    Top performers compensated well above normal market rates.

Cons

Hasn't had competent top level engineering management since 2007.
    Complete chaos in engineering across all product lines.
    Fierce internal executive rivalries and frequent engineering executive shuffling make it very difficult to successfully complement projects.
    Company completes only a small number of the numerous of engineering projects it starts.
    Business units are littered with un-dead zombie projects that have undergone multiple direction changes and leadership changes.
    Cisco's new product development life cycle now generally exceeds technology life cycles. It takes so long to develop products that the product technology is obsolete when the product ships.
    Everything aspect of engineering possible is being out-sourced without out regard to the impact on quality, efficiency, and ROI.
    Cisco treats its engineers like farm animals.

Advice to Management

1. It is all about leadership. Crack open the Cisco cash hoard and spend whatever it takes buy competent engineering executives to fix your internal problems.

2. Get better at engineering outsourcing or stop doing it. Current efforts are failing and destroying quality.