Cisco Systems

I LOVE MY JOB

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Milpitas, CA
Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

I came back to Cisco after 11 years. It's great to have on your resume and I'm always very proud to say I work there. They truly believe in a balanced life.

Cons

Hiring Pause...sometimes they lose really GREAT employees because they cannot convert a contractor to a regular employee. While contributing as a contractor, your ideas aren't as widely embraced due to your status.

I've nothing to give in the way of feedback. I thought you were great in 1997 and I still do!

5428 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Okay company to work for

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good company to have on the resume. Internally it is like any other large company. Big and bloated, resistent to change.

Cons

Low pay. Make you work late hours. Even on the weekends. Bad work life balance. No recognition or reward. No Career growth.

Take care of your employees. Upper management is great but middle to lower management is terrible. Too much politics, and waste of money.

Cisco: Good if you're looking for job security. Bad if you're looking for career advancement.

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco is great for job security and takes great measures to retain FTEs. The ability to get your work done with flexible hours and/or the ability to work from home is also a GREAT perk. And because of the size of the company, there are a lot of options to move internally (lateral) to see different sides of the business.

Cons

There is an excessive amount of middle management layers, which can often result in poor top-to-bottom communication and poor bottom-to-top visibility. Cisco is also not very good at career advancement, specifically if you are an ambitious go-getter, as promotions and raises tend to have more to do with seniority and less to do with performance. They also have an internal policy that you can not get promoted when you switch positions. While I believe the intent was so that people do not jump from job to job simply for a pay increase, what happens in practice is top performers who move to a new opportunity for a new challenge, have to make that move laterally even when it is a job with more responsibility. However, if you stay in the same role for years, you will eventually get promoted just because of seniority. As a result, many top performers make a few lateral moves and then leave the company in order to get a promotion.

I would strongly recommend Cisco remove the policy that employees cannot get promoted when they change roles as this is demotivating and penalizes top performers. I would also love to see 360 reviews extend beyond Chambers senior mangement team, or at least require that managers are reviewed by a minimum of 1 direct report as part of the yearly review process.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems