Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
  www.cisco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

A place you can live your life and enjoy having a family and yet still make a living working.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the fact I can work from home. I like that Cisco wants us to have a family life and not just a working life.

Cons

If your a contractor you are stuck! there's no growth opportunities even though they claim there is.They lose out on a lot of talented internal workers because the company is so big and rather than empowering a contractor that is already here they look for externally talent.

Cisco has some of the best talented people already working for you. Instead of promoting jobs externally look within your own contractors that are already here. It's easier for me to quit and be considered at Cisco than being a contractor trying to get that full time job. Contractors have talent we just aren't given the chance or our bosses aren't given the reqs to hire us.

5412 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Political, Lack of Communication, Silo'd

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, Industry leader, ability to telecommute, many good people who work hard to get things done.

Cons

Very political, poor communications, very "need-to-know" information flow. Constant re-organizations, you are told, not asked, what you new position will be. Vice Presidents surround themselves with allies and the allies surround themselves with allies. You need to be in San Jose and in the right building to get promoted. A lot of full-time yet part time workers, do the minimum to stay hidden.

Fire Chambers, Break the internal cartels and silos , Don't let indians hire and promote only indians, Stop spending and wasting a fortune on useless marketing and other communication activities. Stop trying to be "hip" you're no longer going after the consumer market.

Great Technology, Terrible Middle Management

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Offers great opportunity to to work with the best technology in the industry. Great flex time options working from home. Many opportunities to learn new technologies and free to move between internal jobs after one year in current job.

Cons

Very bloated middle management, too many sales organizational restructuring severely affecting customer relationships. Middle management is very political, indifferent and not open to suggestions. If you want to keep your job then don't question management initiatives. Management will destroy your career if you are assertive and ambitious. The Cisco culture is long gone and has become a very difficult place to work with all the politics occurring. If you are not part of the good old boys club, then work will be frustrating and challenging.

Middle management needs to treat their members with respect as opposed to the threatening and unprofessional behavior some lower level employees are subject too.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems