There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Comfortable job but not much room for improvement

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco pays well. There are stock opportunities, bonuses, and I work some with pretty great and smart people. It's very family friendly here and I have the flexibility to spend time with my kids and get work done. I know I have been given some decent opportunities throughout my career but it's not an easy path.

Cons

Unless you work in one of the big home offices (SJ, RTP, Richardson), it is hard to get career opportunities. Lots of politics and things (such as cool new products) move slowly. Also, working with a large global company you have a lot of hires outside of the US, which makes working with the different timezones hard.

Advice to Management

Know who is contributing and recognize and reward them! Get things out to market sooner. Work like a start-up instead of a big and bloated company.

reviews filtered by
  1. Internship Experience

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a very friendly environment in general and you get to work with their product not on some side project. They also had good programs for interns throughout the summer and kept us very engaged.

Cons

They have a poor retention policy for interns and rarely recall interns from previous years or give them full time offers.

2. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first 'real' job out of college - and I can say that the role I was hired into provides the right amount of challenge, as well as the room for growth that anyone could hope for. Working with a team where your opinions/contributions are valued, and expectations set within a reachable limit has helped me grow my own personal career, while pushing the limits of my job description, to the next level.

Cons

Sometimes that speed of work could be a bit slower than I would like - but I think that is due to the company being as large as it is. Lots of 'hurry up and wait' with the amount of collaboration my role utilizes.

Advice to Management

Increase the budget for R&D to maintain a competitive stance in the Knowledge Management arena.