There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Great for now! But future is dim.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- High amount of freedom / latitude for design decisions
- High amount of trust from manager (probably depends on the manager, of course)
- Flexible hours and work from home
- Good benefits

Cons

- Shriveling US engineering teams. No plans to replace attrition in several locations.
- Over-expansion into immature workforces (China, India). No effort made to mentor or retain talent. Sink or swim to an engineer in these locations results (understandably) in leaving for a new company.
- Expertise is not valued over promises of cheap/faster/better development in Asia. The problem is that you can choose only two of cheaper, faster, and better. Executives automatically and demonstrably choose cheaper, so are left without either speed or quality.
- Executive culture is one of secrecy. No one below director level can learn anything about the future/strategy/planning.
- Directors cannot share anything with engineers. No acknowledgement of publicized events. Example: layoffs in one division are not communicated to any other division, even when news articles are presented to directors. "There has been an event affecting some people." -direct quote.
- Reorganization every 12 months, on average. Executive chain is good example of Brownian motion.

Kick marketing in the junk every two months to keep them on their toes. They are wrong about that "must-have" feature. Delivery schedule is slowed by 6 months any time marketing levers something new into the product. Know your target better! And stop cycling new people through on every program!

Stop the churn. Reorganizing for each new Senior Vice-President is neither practical nor effective. So much energy is wasted in reorgs that little time remains to execute on existing programs.

Stop pushing new development into Asia/India. It makes sense from only one perspective, since most execs are from Asia/India. But it's counter-productive overall. You should have started small, not with 30,000 people per site. Give time to grow and gain expertise. Retain talent instead of smack it on the way out. It takes a single engineer five to ten years to become an expert. You're assuming anyone off the street can do it from day one. And you're listening to the managers who say "Yes we can!" No, you can't. You're not special. You're just buying into the culture of over-promise and under-perform while hoping to be promoted up within a year.

4973 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Such an innovative and inspiring place to work!

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cisco is very open to new ideas, it truly care about it's employees and Cisco makes work fun! I enjoy coming to work everyday; there is always something new to work on.

Cons

I have not experienced any negatives during my time at Cisco. I have greatly enjoyed my internship and I have learned so much about the company and their technologies, I couldn't ask for a better internship!

Great job!

Great Company!

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Investment in training and career growth.

Cons

Too much management as well as little checks and balances on low level managers. You can get wildly varying degrees of competence from one manager to the next. Upper management ALWAYS takes the side of mangers.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!