Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
  www.cisco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Good times at Cisco

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good for freshers and people who have exp of 1-3 years. Lots to learn and free to work on any technology and perform RnD.

Cons

Nothing as such. Very good place to work.

5409 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Good exposure, but it's like a goat rodeo

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly collaborative culture with very smart people. In my role at least, have access to top executives who are very approachable. Still the premier tech name out there, at least when it comes to hardware and networking.

Cons

Very passive aggressive culture. Can be a difficult place for people who prefer directness. People rarely actually say no to anything and so you waste time doing things that never had a chance to gain full support, and you need to herd cats across multiple functions (this is the classical functional siloed company) to get anything done (this ties to the plus that it is a very collaborative culture - you have to work with others to get anything done). Support functions are awful, especially HR. Seriously, this is the worst HR function in the history of business. If you want to see what a company is like that operates on non-sensical policies, and where you can't do something logical because it is against policy, welcome to Cisco. Especially with regards to HR. WPR writes reports on how much space we're using and how much energy we've saved because we decided to get rid of the coffee machine. Seriously, why do we have people whose job includes spending time doing this??!??!?

Company is a function of a ton of M&A, and it's obvious. Too many products often competing with each other and a lack of a coherent integrated strategy. The M&A ironically is what gives Cisco a shot to survive, because there is a culture of looking at inorganic growth which will be key for this company, but need to move quicker to cloud and emerging markets. The days of selling hardware at super high margins and being US Centric are over.

Fun & challenging

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Great culture, work environment and benefits

Cons

Too big company so sometimes things can get political rather than technical.

Cut the middle fat!