There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Learned a lot

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, culture and benefits are great. There are a lot of people with extensive finance and accounting knowledge so there is the opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

Regular layoffs. The finance function is being moved to low cost areas so there are not a lot of opportunities in San Jose. Rotating to new positions was on of the appealing things about working for Cisco which is not easily possible now.

4878 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Cisco stands for Crap

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is nothing good about this place except the cafe...

Cons

Its a crap company. People laugh at in bay area if you say you work for cisco.
    Had very hectic schedules and stupid manager Makarand Shivadevuni...who don't even know how to manage...

Get ready for shut down...

Gets worse every year

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cisco is the market leader in most categories it operates in. It is a recognized name. Cisco is big enough that the company "could" expand into growth areas, if the management had the knowledge and foresight to choose the markets carefully. There is enough brain trust and money still on board to create the next dozen world-changing products.

Cons

Any company can experience only so much growth before market share and sales level off. Cisco's flat growth rate was inevitable. Yet the company still tries to bow to Wall Street, at the expense of customer and employee satisfaction. Outsourcing of software and hardware development jobs is reaching a fever pitch. Product prices are on a race to the bottom, while quality follows, but internal metrics for performance measurement have not changed in a decade. Products and product strategies have not changed significantly, despite re-org after re-org. Employees are asked to follow the same processes, and perform to the same metrics which were put in place a long time ago, when profit per employee was seven figures.

We cannot compete with cheap Asian products that perform just as well as our current expensive products which are designed and built by the same cheap Asian ODM "partners". Putting the Cisco logo on a crummy Chinese box is not going to fool anyone. Ask Google and Microsoft and Amazon. Bring the development jobs back to the USA, with an emphasis on creating better products that are cheaper. Believe it or not, American engineers know how to design cheap PC boards. The USA engineer is not cheap, but he or she is perfectly capable of creating compelling, less expensive product designs. If our customers are unwilling or unable to pay a premium for the Cisco brand, do NOT try to fool the customer with lower quality products. Sometimes I wonder if upper management really believes the company is better off for outsourcing everything except the logo. How can the companies that we compete with be trusted to design and build our products for us? Do you really think the Chinese ODM has Cisco's best interest in mind? Absolutely not. They will drink from the teat until it's dry, and then step in to sell even more of their crap after Cisco gives up or implodes. With billions in the bank, it's not too late to do the right thing.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!