Great collaboration, flexible work options

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy being able to work from home and the tools Cisco provides to make it as easy as possible to do so. Great collaboration and teamwork are the norm in my experience. John Chambers is a great communicator, always very candid and open with employees.

Cons

Tight budgets mean that I don't get to travel to meet with my colleagues in person; upward mobility is difficult if not impossible; constant organizational and process changes are frustrating.

Keep the current marketing organization and processes in place for at least 2 years before considering additional changes. Please let us relax and do our jobs!

Other Reviews for Cisco Systems

A very solid, highly sales-driven company. Dependable, predictable and supportive but missing its spark.

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Given that Cisco is employs over 70,000 people globally, it's really tough to summarize the company in a single review. Ultimately it will depend on where you are within the company and what your goals are.

Above all, Cisco is about selling. Cisco is the 800-pound gorilla in the network infrastructure room and it has saturated the market. IT managers and CIO's will not be fired for buying Cisco and they know it. If you need a global deployment that you can rely on and you aren't a tech company... who else are you going to use?

- Industry disruption takes a long time to impact such a significant install-base.
    - People are supportive and open to help you out whenever they can.
    - The ability to move globally is available but this is becoming more difficult.
    - It looks good on the resume.
    - The ability to work with the biggest and most complex networking deployments in the world.
    - The people

Cons

- Cisco is divided into: Sales, Engineering, Support and Other (legal, finance, HR etc.). If you live outside of sales you are a second-class citizen as you are denied access to the premier recognition programs, training is constrained and your input into decision making is marginalized.
    - Cisco no longer innovates internally.
    - Engineering functions are continually under threat of labour rate arbitrage.
    - If you're in the US and you're outside of Tasman Drive, your career opportunities are limited.
    - The company is struggling to break out of networking infrastructure.

- Re-establish trust in the direction of the company.
    - Expand the "One Cisco" mantra to make opportunities available outside of sales.
    - High-margin hardware sales are eroding. Gear up the company to sell a service and not a box.

Generally positive experience. Had some bad managers who were very political.

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great people, work from home, great product line

Cons

Some managers pick people who are their friends instead of capability

Need better software interfaces, hire people who know how to do user based designs

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!