Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
  www.cisco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Welcome to the team, DZ-015"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dependable salary, relatively straight-forward requirements, nice folks, pretty good work life balance (almost never stayed past 6pm)

Cons

As many as 11 layers of management will separate you from the CEO. This translates to a mountain of bureaucracy, with hundreds of internal groups, some deeply removed from customers. The group I worked for went by an acronym, and no one, not even my manager who had been there for 20 years, could recount what the acronym meant or how they came to get it exactly.

Cisco seems to have an existing informal agreement with employees: we will hire you as a contractor, and one day, many years from now, you will become permanent. May be 2 years, may be 5. That's a long time for commitment in the tech sector, so it attracts folks who are willing to slog it out and are looking for long-term, safe employment.

A newer model was developing as I was leaving, which is diametrically opposed to this, was outsourcing. So after toughing it out for years and doubling-down on Cisco, you might discover that one day a foreign employee on a visa, or many, many foreign employees with visas suddenly appear. It's your job to train them in how to do your job. Sound scary? It sure was to the 55 year olds I worked with.

None, you're probably doing the best you can with what you've got (a monopoly, 100k+ employees, mixed in quality, uncertain future). I suppose you could layoff trying to move into the consumer space.

5295 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Blue badge or bust...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a full time employee life is great but those positions are hard to come by unless you have one already.

Cons

There some great people working there but it is an obvious divide between contractors and full-time employees.

Your contracted work force is a sizable one... do all you can to keep them happy as well as you employees

Good starting job

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible, a lot of learning opportunities

Cons

Over the period of time , things began to drive down. Perks went away, fringe benefits are just for documentation, benefits were cut down, continuous layoff cased the employeee morale to go down.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems