Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com

"Welcome to the team, DZ-015"

Web Developer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsDependable salary, relatively straight-forward requirements, nice folks, pretty good work life balance (almost never stayed past 6pm)

ConsAs many as 11 layers of management will separate you from the CEO. This translates to a mountain of bureaucracy, with hundreds of internal groups, some deeply removed from customers. The group I worked for went by an acronym, and no one, not even my manager who had been there for 20 years, could recount what the acronym meant or how they came to get it exactly.

Cisco seems to have an existing informal agreement with employees: we will hire you as a contractor, and one day, many years from now, you will become permanent. May be 2 years, may be 5. That's a long time for commitment in the tech sector, so it attracts folks who are willing to slog it out and are looking for long-term, safe employment.

A newer model was developing as I was leaving, which is diametrically opposed to this, was outsourcing. So after toughing it out for years and doubling-down on Cisco, you might discover that one day a foreign employee on a visa, or many, many foreign employees with visas suddenly appear. It's your job to train them in how to do your job. Sound scary? It sure was to the 55 year olds I worked with.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, you're probably doing the best you can with what you've got (a monopoly, 100k+ employees, mixed in quality, uncertain future). I suppose you could layoff trying to move into the consumer space.

A decent company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: decent compensation and benefit package. Positive work environment. Co-workers are mostly… Cons: Need better management. Like most of tech companies, job security is… Advice to Senior Management: avoid bad acquisitions. less re-organizations. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Cisco's Heyday Is Over. :-(

Technical Writer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The best thing going is the ability to telecommute (because all of… Cons: Threats of layoffs. Lots of outsourcing to India. Inexperienced managers.… Advice to Senior Management: Bring the jobs back to the U.S. and hire talented… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cisco Systems.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!