There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

smart peoples cooperate to achieve common goals
best benefits, health care, 401K...
open communication between team mates and managers

Cons

waste of time on sometimes useless process
sometimes decision making is rather slow

nothing particular

5099 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Cisco Job Preview

Current Employee - Development Manager in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

- Paysacle.
    - Duties.
    - Flextime.
    - Able to telecommute when the job calls for it.
    - Culture.
    - Review process.

Cons

- Employee ranking system.
    - Review process.
    - The engineering process too restricting at times.
    - The too many layoffs.

- None. I think Cisco management does a good job of executing the plans, I am not sure the employee ranking systems is a positive.

Needs alot of work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good comp and benefits
    Good competent individual contributors
    Financial strength and stability of company
    Telecommuting available to some
    Many types of organizations and positions

Cons

Execution driven, poor analysis and planning ability or processes at the Company. Where this does exist, it is not really leveraged. The focus is tactical and execution oriented.

Non-existent decision-making or accountability. Continuing trend to use committees to make decisions, which continues to promote lack of individual decision-making and accountability by the right people. When all goes wrong, targeted scapegoating is the result of this framework.

Middle management is not competent. Many grew up at Cisco during boom (late 90's) and were promoted to mgt (due to low unemployment) without experience, competencies, training or solid role models. No real progress on improving this gap.

Fire, aim, ready mentality. Lots of fire drills, false starts, rework.

Lots of posturing and heavy politics. If you can stand to "hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil" you will do fine, though you may not help the company.

Bonus system promotes dishonesty. Sr. Mgrs and above get significant bonuses. No wonder they are possessed with everyone creating our "smoke and mirrors" deliverables.

No work/life balance. My Director verbatim "you will never find a job at Cisco that offers work life balance, so don't bother looking. All Cisco employees are expected to work 60+hours per week." At that rate, I can do better financially and personally working for the defunct state of CA.

HR is invisible. When I asked, my manager would not give me the HR contact and suggested it was useless to get them involved in what would have benefited from HR consultation. No one in our group knows who our HR rep is as we have never been told, seen or heard from anyone in HR. There is no place to go to look it up, as far as I know.

Limited opportunity to transition to other groups. My VP has prevented 2 attempts I have made to move to a different group, even when a job was available for me.

Company values are very clear- deliver something fast, make it look good and, most of all (though left unspoken) BONUSES above all else. Change the reward system if you want common sense to override epidemic personal self-interest and self-promotion.

Some people are not cut out for management positions no matter how much training you provide. Please bring in and support some real managers as role models and mentors (will need to have a critical mass to neutralize the culture and retain them) so we can try to overcome this huge gap in our Company's effectiveness and capability. .

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems