I love Cisco!

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

They trust you to get you job done with little supervision. I can usually set the times I travel and develop my own pace of what I want to work on. Usually I can set my schedule up to a month out and I will know what I'm working on. Managers work with you to ensure that you are helping you and the bottom line of Cisco. I also like the flexible hours and the allowance of working from my home. Many times I will not get inspired until late at night and I will work in to the early morning. As long as I meet my commitments for the next day, Cisco supports me working when I need to.

Cons

Little guidance on what it takes to get promoted to the next level. Many companies have this problem where they have fuzzy guidance as to what it really takes to move up to the next level. I think this is a problem for those that are task oriented (as that is one of the skills Cisco Hires). If there were a specific matrix that helped guide people to where they want to be in 3-5 years and even 10 years out, then Cisco would have a world class system of retaining people as one would always know where one's career is going.

Advice to Management

Develop a set of matrics on what it takes to get promoted from one position to another. Needs to be more specific.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Test Eng in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Test Eng in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

As long as it's in networking if you get bored in one area you can move to almost any other area.

Cons

It can be slow to change, in certain areas that are changing quickly.

Advice to Management

Have them try to be more universal and policies rather than letting each BU decide on its own.

2. Best in the world...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

I love Cisco. My role in sales is very fast paced and rewarding, both personally and financially. The Cisco family is unstoppable when it wants to be. Senior leaders are energized about the company and communicate our vision and strategy with clarity.

Cons

Cisco is a large company with a complex set of corporate initiatives and solutions. You will need your thinking cap to be successful.

Advice to Management

Prune the dead wood. Cisco has many employees at the 1st and 2nd level of management that don't lead and won't make hard decisions.