Cisco Systems

I love Cisco!

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

They trust you to get you job done with little supervision. I can usually set the times I travel and develop my own pace of what I want to work on. Usually I can set my schedule up to a month out and I will know what I'm working on. Managers work with you to ensure that you are helping you and the bottom line of Cisco.

I also like the flexible hours and the allowance of working from my home. Many times I will not get inspired until late at night and I will work in to the early morning. As long as I meet my commitments for the next day, Cisco supports me working when I need to.

Cons

Little guidance on what it takes to get promoted to the next level. Many companies have this problem where they have fuzzy guidance as to what it really takes to move up to the next level. I think this is a problem for those that are task oriented (as that is one of the skills Cisco Hires). If there were a specific matrix that helped guide people to where they want to be in 3-5 years and even 10 years out, then Cisco would have a world class system of retaining people as one would always know where one's career is going.

Develop a set of matrics on what it takes to get promoted from one position to another. Needs to be more specific.

5415 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Cisco's great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

You are encouraged to collaborate and seek visibility, even externally. Some employees can even work from home or in a remote office. Managers are generally open minded and encourage asking tough questions and challenging the status quo. Industry Leader. Still a growth company. Compensation and benefits are excellent. For instance, the medical and dental package is 2nd to none and much better than most other comparable companies. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Cons

“- Many things in the new hire process are unorganized for new employees. I particularly dislike the 2+ week overhead trying to get initial items setup.
    - Expectations for corporate culture may be put on badges, but I am not feeling the type of camaraderie that I had, nor the new employee immersing expectations that occurred for my last job with "Big Chip Inc". It's starting to feel like more people are there putting in their 9 - 5 instead of being there because they enjoy their work more. Then again I am biased and so is my viewpoint of being a Software Engineer.”

“Please start thinking more like engineers and less like business people. I feel like too many suits are running the show without considering the possible side-effects of poor design decisions or the like. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Best in the world...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

I love Cisco. My role in sales is very fast paced and rewarding, both personally and financially. The Cisco family is unstoppable when it wants to be. Senior leaders are energized about the company and communicate our vision and strategy with clarity.

Cons

Cisco is a large company with a complex set of corporate initiatives and solutions. You will need your thinking cap to be successful.

Prune the dead wood. Cisco has many employees at the 1st and 2nd level of management that don't lead and won't make hard decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems