Cisco's great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

You are encouraged to collaborate and seek visibility, even externally. Some employees can even work from home or in a remote office. Managers are generally open minded and encourage asking tough questions and challenging the status quo. Industry Leader. Still a growth company. Compensation and benefits are excellent. For instance, the medical and dental package is 2nd to none and much better than most other comparable companies. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Cons

“- Many things in the new hire process are unorganized for new employees. I particularly dislike the 2+ week overhead trying to get initial items setup. - Expectations for corporate culture may be put on badges, but I am not feeling the type of camaraderie that I had, nor the new employee immersing expectations that occurred for my last job with "Big Chip Inc". It's starting to feel like more people are there putting in their 9 - 5 instead of being there because they enjoy their work more. Then again I am biased and so is my viewpoint of being a Software Engineer.”

Advice to Management

“Please start thinking more like engineers and less like business people. I feel like too many suits are running the show without considering the possible side-effects of poor design decisions or the like. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I love Cisco!

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

They trust you to get you job done with little supervision. I can usually set the times I travel and develop my own pace of what I want to work on. Usually I can set my schedule up to a month out and I will know what I'm working on. Managers work with you to ensure that you are helping you and the bottom line of Cisco. I also like the flexible hours and the allowance of working from my home. Many times I will not get inspired until late at night and I will work in to the early morning. As long as I meet my commitments for the next day, Cisco supports me working when I need to.

Cons

Little guidance on what it takes to get promoted to the next level. Many companies have this problem where they have fuzzy guidance as to what it really takes to move up to the next level. I think this is a problem for those that are task oriented (as that is one of the skills Cisco Hires). If there were a specific matrix that helped guide people to where they want to be in 3-5 years and even 10 years out, then Cisco would have a world class system of retaining people as one would always know where one's career is going.

Advice to Management

Develop a set of matrics on what it takes to get promoted from one position to another. Needs to be more specific.

2. Cisco, one great company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Opportunities everywhere, you are given a job to do and most of the time you have a great deal of flexibility on how you can execute it. Cisco is like many small companies that you can access and move into, gaining experience, knowledge, and depth in your career path. All that and I can telecommute, what's there not to like?

Cons

Some people have a hard time with the passionate and aggressive way that Cisco goes about its business. You need to 'get it' and get on with it fast. No one wants to hear you whining about how hard it is to do what you need to do. Ask for advice, research your problem, propose and solution and make a decision. Unfortunately some of those who don't get are still around.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting our decisions and ensure that any decisions that affect us are explained in detail with the impacts.