There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Low tide lowers all ships

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Pure meritocracy - those who do the job best, get paid the best.

Cons

Huge company - easy to get lost if you let yourself

Advice to Management

We have a good story to tell, but no storytellers. Time for a change at the top to somebody who can generate confidence in our product - not a technocrat.

Other Employee Reviews for Citi

Toxic, arrogant, no controls, puts themselves above customers, poor record keeping, read on . . .

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company. They treat their employees extremely poorly. As an employee, you are just a number. They expect loyalty, but they give none to employees. It is highly dysfunctional and business division heads resent one another. There is no incentive for anyone to work together. The culture is toxic and bankrupt.

Cons

1) Abusive supervisors and institutional apathy: I worked for this organization for 4.5 years and was promoted twice. My supervisor had an extremely hot temper and continually verbally abused his employees. Despite complaints to HR and notes on his performance review, his behavior did not change. In fact, he was promoted. 2) Treatment of former employees: I left my job in the summer to attend graduate school and used my accrued vacation when I quit. When I left the firm, my supervisor approved my vacation and my official end date was clear (and in the HR system). Despite this, the firm continued to pay me via direct deposit for two pay periods. Once they discovered this, they had to ask me when my end date was because their HR systems were in such disarray. I asked me supervisor for details about how I was to repay the amounts and he passed it off to HR. I received a letter from HR two months later simply requesting that I pay a flat amount. I immediately sent a certified letter to Citi's "overpayment coordinator", my old supervisor and HR requesting data on the dates of the payments, the amounts of the payments, a statement that they would correct my W-2 and confirmation that they actually withheld taxes that they claimed they were owed. No one bothered to reply to my letter. 1.5 months later, I received a call from a bill collector from CitiFinancial on Christmas Eve demanding that I return her call by 2 PM that day. I called the bill collector and was spoken to quite tersely like I was a criminal or a deadbeat borrower. I again reiterated my request to the bill collector and she claimed to be sending the data that I requested. I have yet to see this data. To date, I have not repaid the company because they cannot provide the data that they would provide an employee on a pay stub. 3) Immobility: I was promoted twice, but because of my abusive supervisor, sought work in other departments. Citi's HR policies required that a supervisor "release" an employee to take a position with another department. This made it virtually impossible to move to a different department without quitting the firm. 4) Restricted stock lost when returning to school: I accumulated a substantial amount of unvested restricted stock after working for the firm for 4.5 years (most of my compensation was in the form of bonus, of which 25% was paid in unvested company restricted stock). When I quit to return to graduate school to upgrade my skills, the firm required me to forfeit the unvested restricted stock that I had earned. Such a practice is intended to prevent employees from leaving to go to other competitors. The affect was to punish an employee for wanting to upgrade their skills. I have no incentive to return to the firm. I told HR this, but they did not seem to care. They did not seem to care that they alienated a potential future employee, who would potentially be able to recruit classmates (from a top MBA program). Clearly, they have no interest in long-term retention of employees. 5) Extremely political: Relations among business divisions are extremely dysfunctional. I witnessed this after working in a staff position that dealt with the management of each top division. They do not talk to one another and approach other business divisions in an adversarial manner. The resulting culture is extremely toxic. This system encourages employees not to work together and to develop deep-seated, bitter resentment toward their colleagues in other divisions. This list could go on! I was somewhat annoyed while working for them, but became enraged at them by their treatment after I quit (not responding to simple requests for information and harassing me with an aggressive bill collector). This is no way to retain talent. Work here at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Considering the firm is essentially insolvent (as of the end of 2008--with about $2 trillion of assets and only $131 billion of equity, the firm's equity value would be wiped out with a write-down of about 6.5% of assets, not unheard of in this environment), I think they have worse problems than their employee relations. This firm is a mishmash of acquisitions that were never integrated and has no culture. There is so much to do, I'm not sure what senior management could do to improve things. It will take years to improve.

2. Go for the benefits and training and then move on.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Excellent benefit package. TONS of vacation time. Management gets about 5 weeks. Work life balance is ok at first but gets much tougher as you move up. Mid and upper management log 60-70 hours all the time. Also, with all the technology their is no way to work remotely unless you like a network that lags so much it makes it impossible to work.

Cons

Get promoted internally and there is an excellent chance some of your direct reports will make more than you. Get hired into the same job from the outside and you'll make 30-40% more. HORRIBLE salaries for internal promotions.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be competitive with the market.