There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Good institution with great flaws in key areas of startegy and employee retention.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Johannesburg (South Africa)
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at Citi

Pros

This is a global institution which has best-in-class standards in terms of product offering and dedication to clients. Good training is offered to employees (or at least used to be offered before the expense cutting regime started). Among local banks, Citi is still revered as the best place to work due to misconception that compensaton is the highest.

Cons

As a global institution, Citigroup is often tone-deaf to local needs in terms of compensation increases and benefits packages offered in order to attract the best talent. Very hierachical and full of career-bankers who believe that years worked in the institution equal talent.

Senior management has to give regional management more leeway and control in determining compensation and deciding best strategy to deliver returns to shareholders. One size fits all is not the answer when it comes to positioning Citi as number one in local markets.

2701 Other Employee Reviews for Citi (View Most Recent)

Poor management and HR. Unwelcoming staff and poor career opportunitries - NOT recommended

Former Employee - Vice President in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Vice President in London, England (UK)

I worked at Citi

Pros

Scale of the organisation - otherwise none

Cons

Extremely poor management - unfriendly staff, no HR induction - unhelpfull people in all departments. Backstabbing

I found the organisation to be horrendous for its size - I was treated very poorly by both managment and fellow staff. Very unwelcoming and poor communications between departments. Too much beauroracy and politics. I was never given a proper induction by HR - for a company of this size it is essential that this takes place. Staff were particularly unwelcoming and unfriendly towards me - I felt I was being victimised and belittled by staff who had been there for many years.
    Senior Management were poor communicators and were "yes men" to their seniors, not telling the real truth about particuloar matters. Poor decisions were being made about IT and technology engineering that have contributed to the poor financial results of the company. I would never recommend this company to anyone who wants a proper career.

it will pass ...

Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Citi

Pros

I have found that Cit has an extensive global foot print which provides great carrer opportunities especially for somecone who wants to be in emerging markets. THe brand has taken a beating, but the poeple remaining in the IBD team are top notch and the deal exposure is great as a junior banker.

Cons

current turmoil has hit the bank harder than at other banks. THer is unertaiity on long-term prospects and i believe this is impacting the volume of business coming through the door. Wise to stay put at he moment through this cycle and seee what heppens in 2 years time.

Communicate, communicate, communicate.