There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Relatively new employee wishes Citigroup knew anything about technology.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Jose, CA

Pros

Citigroup is a powerful financial institution with a lot of resources unique to the institution. As a financial advisor, I have access to a lot of in-house resources and tools for my clients that are, as far as I can tell, unique to the industry. They pay fairly well and the overall environment here is not bad, and there is a good deal of comraderie between advisors within the office. Once everything was set up, we've had a good deal of autonomy as to how we run our business within the firm, so in that respect I'm quite satisfied.

Cons

Citigroup has more beaurocracy than any company I have ever seen. Anything in my branch can be done relatively quickly, but setting up accounts for interns, making any changes to my workstation, or attempting to do anything that requires outside approval takes forever. My HR director has been working for the firm for almost 20 years and still is confused by the system, not because she is less than competent but because the system makes very little sense. In addition, the firewall and operating system all computers are required to have almost, but not quite, completely cripples my ability to do any work with technology of any kind. There is a fairly good software suite preinstalled on the computer, but any applications that I want to use that haven't gone through the endless Citigroup approval process can't be installed. Upgrading or replacing technology of any kind is also very difficult. In addition, in the recent market Citigroup made some financial mistakes that were extremely costly to my busniess and my clients, so I'm entirely less than happy about that, but some of the other deals I have managed to get for them mostly makes up for some of the recent fiascos.

Advice to Management

Give me a real operating system. Give me a better computer. Don't make me pay for an intern to sit in a cubicle for 3 weeks twiddling his thumbs because you can't figure out how to assign a login and password. Move your password assistance branch out of Mexico. Do not take risks with supposedly risk-free investments. Cut back the beaurocracy and try and actually get things done in a logical and timely manner, as opposed to your current convulted and incredibly slow method of doing business.

Other Employee Reviews for Citi

1. Has been a great company to work for and hoping it will continue to be.

Current Employee - Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Kingsport, TN

Pros

Has been very good for my personal growth as well as helping me reach goals I did not think possible professionally and financially. They pay very well with a generous bonus program. Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Duplication of efforts across several areas within the businesses and technology. Too many offices of 25 or less folks scattered across the country. They have never completed many of the acquisitions they have made over the years. This lead to many little "kingdoms" running on thier own with the title of "Citigroup" in name only. I encounter different groups that were acquired years ago, but still consider Citigroup to be "them". Conversely, there are several of the old school corporate types that still refer to the company as "The Bank" or "Citicorp". News flash, this company is no longer just a bank nor is it Citicorp.

Advice to Management

Clean up the old stuff left undone all over the country and get out of the businesses that do not make sense. Subprime is an area this company never should have gotten into so deeply. Realize that the "one stop shop" is not what consumers want. This has failed multiple times over the past 5-6 years. Also, stop with the quirky ads and slogans. "Citi Never Sleeps" describes the state of the company for sure. We are acting like we are sleep deprived and unable to come up with, much less execute a cohesive strategy. Stop the multiple layers of management reporting (having 2-3 matrix bosses). Too many masters to serve with too many conflicting agendas.

2. citi review

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

nice pockets that encourage and reward innovation

Cons

Huge company. can be hard to navigate. Excess culture of compliance and rules

Advice to Management

encourage innovation from bottom up