There are newer employer reviews for Citi

worked for Citi for 17 years. Left the company in 1998

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

at that time, it was a great company to work for - lots of opportunities for promotion and growth

Cons

management changed too often. Would be good to have continuity

2626 Other Employee Reviews for Citi (View Most Recent)

Citi is a good, solid company to work for, with internal opportunities. Just watch your back.

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are great learning opportunities and the potential for internal transfer to practically anywhere in the WORLD. It takes work and planning but it is possible.
    I recommend signing up for the 401k as soon as you're eligible. The company contributes too as long as you do. It hurts a bit at first when you think about what your take-home pay could be, but look to your future.
    Their stated policies toward employees are very liberal and generous, but sometimes you need to politely remind your management about them.

Cons

You've heard the old saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know". Well, you'll most likely see it in action here. You can try to stand out and get past it, you can embrace it and try to turn it to your advantage (aka join the Dark Side LOL), you can accept/ignore it and just appreciate a steady job with little hope of promotion, or you can go elsewhere.
    My department, at least, has had no salary increases or bonuses except, I thnk, my 2nd level up of management. That's always heartening and gives workers incentive to do a great job (sarcasm).
    They can work you to almost no limit, using a policy in the Employee Handbook that goes something like, "An Officer of the Bank may have no set hours and no timeclock to punch, but is expected to maintain his/her job functions. This can mean you will need to work late hours and extra days on occasion". - If this happens to you, go with it maybe a few times, but then you will need to stand up for yourself and bring up another section of the Handbook, regarding Work/Life Balance.

You need to do whatever it takes to create sustained growth in the common stock again, see examples during John Reed's tenure. I realize that the only ideas you may be able to come up with are more consolidation and layoffs, but the better way is by creating a forward-thinking progressive bank that consumers and investors alike can trust. Don't ever speak to Sanford Weill again. Try having middle management follow the stated policies in the Handbook, a good section to start in is "Work/Life Balance". Thank you

great experience at Citi

I worked at Citi

Pros

good working environment, flexible schedules, nice people, team work

Cons

internal issues causing some problems among teams, leadership is quite different from team to team,

better pay, needs improve leadership in some locations, strategic goals in different locations

There are newer employer reviews for Citi

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!