There are newer employer reviews for Citi

used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Collector/Cust Service in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - Collector/Cust Service in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay, great benefits, some sites have on site cafe and gym

Cons

goals are padded to be so high that reps are doing underhanded things to meet goal

Advice to Management

listen to the people who are doing the job..we know what we are talking about

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Citi is a good, solid company to work for, with internal opportunities. Just watch your back.

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are great learning opportunities and the potential for internal transfer to practically anywhere in the WORLD. It takes work and planning but it is possible. I recommend signing up for the 401k as soon as you're eligible. The company contributes too as long as you do. It hurts a bit at first when you think about what your take-home pay could be, but look to your future. Their stated policies toward employees are very liberal and generous, but sometimes you need to politely remind your management about them.

Cons

You've heard the old saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know". Well, you'll most likely see it in action here. You can try to stand out and get past it, you can embrace it and try to turn it to your advantage (aka join the Dark Side LOL), you can accept/ignore it and just appreciate a steady job with little hope of promotion, or you can go elsewhere. My department, at least, has had no salary increases or bonuses except, I thnk, my 2nd level up of management. That's always heartening and gives workers incentive to do a great job (sarcasm). They can work you to almost no limit, using a policy in the Employee Handbook that goes something like, "An Officer of the Bank may have no set hours and no timeclock to punch, but is expected to maintain his/her job functions. This can mean you will need to work late hours and extra days on occasion". - If this happens to you, go with it maybe a few times, but then you will need to stand up for yourself and bring up another section of the Handbook, regarding Work/Life Balance.

Advice to Management

You need to do whatever it takes to create sustained growth in the common stock again, see examples during John Reed's tenure. I realize that the only ideas you may be able to come up with are more consolidation and layoffs, but the better way is by creating a forward-thinking progressive bank that consumers and investors alike can trust. Don't ever speak to Sanford Weill again. Try having middle management follow the stated policies in the Handbook, a good section to start in is "Work/Life Balance". Thank you

2. B.A

Current Employee - B A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - B A in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Ok Pay with good benefits

Cons

Try to compensate employees during rough times to retain talent.