There are newer employer reviews for Citi

No work/life balance very long hours with occasional six day work weeks.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Citi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and on campus amenities.

Cons

Realized the on campus amenities are so you never have an excuse to leave.
Never felt so undervalued as an employee.
Bad apples are left to spoil the bunch, even when the manager admits to knowing they are there.
Systems are so antiquated, you do very manual processes.
50+ hour weeks is the norm. Including coming in on occasional Saturdays. I have seen senior managers working well in excess of 60 hours and coming in on weekends.
Very poor work/life balance.
Strong individual contributors are promoted to lead, but turn out to be terrible leaders.
Never been so unimpressed with management.
Tiny desks to work at.
Bureaucracy that rivals the federal government.
Outsourcing more jobs to India.

I know you are busy trying to save the company and get off of government welfare, but you are working your people very hard with very little reward. Fixing your technology problems is a good start. 8 settlement systems really? No one had the foresight to think, hmmm maybe merging these would be a good idea? Fix your bureaucracy problem, that will cut labor costs significantly. I once needed 8 approvals to get access to a new system. Try telling your employees you think they are valuable even if it is a lie. Didn't even get that much. Never felt so undervalued. I turned in my two weeks notice and have never felt so good.

reviews filtered by
  1. Sign of the times

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are generally proud to work for Citi. Senior management is trying hard to turn the company around.

Cons

Management tends to be short-term focused. The pendulum swings depends on the quarterly financials.

2. It wasn't bad for employees, but wasn't great either

I worked at Citi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks, some opportunity to work from home. The benefits weren't impressive but are typically so.

Cons

There's no avoiding having some bureaucracy in a 200 year old bank with almost a quarter million employees. Their 401K investors lost money, which looks terrible considering I work in equities. The hours were whatever management wanted you to work (late, weekends), but were forgiving if you had to leave during the day.

TBTF will not last forever. Do something about it before regulation catches up. Top down management is murdering productivity, morale, and efficiency, but good luck convincing a wanna-be-central-bank that authoritarianism is bad.

There are newer employer reviews for Citi