Citi
3.1 of 5 1,837 reviews
www.citigroup.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Great training ground, though average pay

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Citi full-time for more than 8 years

Pros* If you can get in here at the beginning of your career, then you will learn a lot as they have some of the best product, marketing, and operational processes along with financial discipline that I have experienced in my career to date.
* As things happen at light-speed at Citi, sideward promotions are done quickly so you can move around the different teams within a business unit quite quickly. Upward promotions are another story (see cons).

Cons* Unlike other organisations, Citi is extremely tight with expenses. Everything is analysed to death before a decision (normally a "no") is made. I noticed a big pull back around the GFC, and it didn't let up many years thereafter. I believe this stifles innovation and risk taking, and unfortunately I see that Citi has gone from an innovator to a follower.
* Middle management is too focused on protecting their own nests and fighting for the top promotions when they come up from time-to-time.
* The overall culture in the bank is dog-eat-dog -- people are generally so overworked and competitive that they aren't willing nor have the time to help you...and why would they help a competitor for a future promotion that they're going after?!
* The pay is really average compared to the big 2/4 - like I said, really great place to learn but terrible if you want to get financially recognised for your experience.
* Overall, there seems to be a lack of cohesiveness with the strategy of the consumer bank -- do we just focus on the Credit Cards business which is a cash cow, or should we actually become a proper bank and accept deposits and write mortgages? The branch network is orientated towards Asian investors, and sends a mixed message.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the middle managers that are just there to protect their nest, start loosening the purse strings and spend some money to become innovative again, and work out what kind of bank do you want to be (just cards, Asian investors, or a general retail bank?).

Fine Company to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than a year

Pros: good company to work. have found a lot of opportunities… Cons: no cons. there is no cons in this company. A… Advice to Senior Management: Its very ok Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Citi Review

Associate (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Citi full-time for more than a year

Pros: The best place to learn the business of banking Flexibility in terms… Cons: Lots of red tape Parts tend to be very heirarchical Performance (or… Advice to Senior Management: Currently, the orginization is orginized by product. Break it up and reoginize… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Citi.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!

Citi – Why Work for Us?

​​Citi works tirelessly to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services. We strive to create the best outcomes for our clients and customers with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citi reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Citi CEO Michael Corbat. All reviews posted anonymously by Citi employees.